Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

None - '97 Honda civic DX
90 day: 36.73 mpg (US)
New to Ecomodder, not new to cars.

Hello everyone.

I have always been on the performance side of cars, I have a 400+whp integra that is almost completed. I am also a auto mechanic and a graduate from UTI of Exton.

I recently picked up a 97 civic DX 5 speed and I have caught the MPG bug, thanks to my good friend and his diesel passat. My best tank so far amazed me at 36.4mpg with ZERO mods, just driving like a granny. My goal right now is to get my car into the 40mpg zone to beat my friends diesel. I know he could mod his diesel to beat me, but he is far too lazy.

Anyway, my plans so far are to pick up a set of HX wheels and I would LOVE to do a d15b5 (hx) swap with functioning lean burn mode. I also plan to block off my front grill to reduce drag (saw a DIY on here that gave me the idea).

So I guess I have a lot more reading to do on this site, and many more MPG's to pick up!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by honduh View Post
Hello everyone.

I have always been on the performance side of cars, I have a 400+whp integra that is almost completed. I am also a auto mechanic and a graduate from UTI of Exton.

I recently picked up a 97 civic DX 5 speed and I have caught the MPG bug, thanks to my good friend and his diesel passat. My best tank so far amazed me at 36.4mpg with ZERO mods, just driving like a granny. My goal right now is to get my car into the 40mpg zone to beat my friends diesel. I know he could mod his diesel to beat me, but he is far too lazy.

Anyway, my plans so far are to pick up a set of HX wheels and I would LOVE to do a d15b5 (hx) swap with functioning lean burn mode. I also plan to block off my front grill to reduce drag (saw a DIY on here that gave me the idea).

So I guess I have a lot more reading to do on this site, and many more MPG's to pick up!
Welcome. I have nearly the same car, and might be on my way to a 60+mpg tank right now. PaleMelanesian's PaleCivic--a 96 DX--is topping 80mpg. And he does not mod at all. A big benefit is in technique. You don't really have to drive that slowly. Just kinda slowly. I have learned that the best techniques are what they call "pulse and glide," "engine off coasting," and "driving with load." To do the last one really well you'll want a ScanGauge or an UltraGauge, I use the latter. It is cheaper and can be set for all the best techniques. Good luck. Start a fuel log! Test any mods carefully. It is surprising how inaccurate our feet on the pedal are. I have been driving my DX for 10 years and the gauge taught me more in six months than I have ever known.

Cheers,
james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Welcome honduh. If 36.4 was on your first try, I bet you're already within striking distance of 40. As you keep practicing, you'll get even better at marking your transition points for coasts. Good luck with it.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.

Quote:
I recently picked up a 97 civic DX 5 speed and I have caught the MPG bug, thanks to my good friend and his diesel passat. My best tank so far amazed me at 36.4mpg with ZERO mods, just driving like a granny. My goal right now is to get my car into the 40mpg zone to beat my friends diesel.
What do you mean with driving like a granny ?

Slow accelerations are not good for Fuel Economy. When accelerating, you want to be in the conditions where you make the most HP for the buck (gas) - i.e. at the best BSFC - and that's at a fairly high engine loading.

Driving slower (at a continuous pace) helps FE, though.
OK, maybe that's a bit like granny, but I often tend to pass faster drivers again when they've slowed down for whatever reason (lights, bends, traffic, ...)

Gradually inflate the tyres to the sidewall max.
It'll harshen the ride, but if it makes the car too bouncy, back off a bit.

Are you coasting already ?
If you're not, try it out.
No need to shut off the engine at first, though you might want to try that as well.
(Power steering quits, brake boost is gone after a few dabs at the brakes, so try it somewhere safe.)

See the Volvo S40 in my signature.
That's 20% above the European rating (which is far less realistic than the EPA rating) without any mods other than inflating the stock LRR tyres to sidewall max and driving technique.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

None - '97 Honda civic DX
90 day: 36.73 mpg (US)
What I mean by driving like a granny is I try to keep the engine at low RPM as much as possible. I will usually run up 1st gear like normal and then shift into 3rd or a quick 2nd-3rd to fifth.

I have not yet inflated my tires to 40+, but plan to once I get new rubber. I have also been trying to get myself to coast more, but its a habbit I'll have to grow into. I'm considering a momentary kill switch since I don't believe my car has dfco, but I'll try with coasting first.

I'm very interested in picking up a Scangauge or something similar. Also considering a vacuum gauge as well.

Just yesterday I added a small air dam to the front bumper, and large foglights that block a portion of the front grill opening.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
What I mean by driving like a granny is I try to keep the engine at low RPM as much as possible.
If you use high engine load and low rpm during acceleration, you'll be pretty quick off the line without burning too much gas. Not really like granny

Quote:
I will usually run up 1st gear like normal
What's "normal" ?
Shift into 2nd right away, after 1 or at most 2 car lengths. It'll help.

Quote:
I have not yet inflated my tires to 40+, but plan to once I get new rubber.
If you have to get new rubber anyway, opt for low rolling resistance tyres.

Quote:
I have also been trying to get myself to coast more, but its a habbit I'll have to grow into.
I was reluctant to try it out at first, but it works really well.
(I leave the engine on though.)

Quote:
I'm very interested in picking up a Scangauge or something similar.
That's really worthwhile if your car doesn't have an on-board computer.
The Ultragauge is cheaper BTW.

Last edited by euromodder; 06-28-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread