Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up New guy from Bay Area, CA

Hi everyone. I hate war, I hate dictatorships, and I really hate giving oil companies absurd sums of money every week that pollutes the environment so I want to convert my trusty Mighty Max pickup truck to biodiesel. And I want to learn how to do it.

So hi.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,523

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 658 Times in 474 Posts
welcome!
Plenty of little ways to achieve better mpg. go thru the '65' list.
And pump up the air n your tires to 40+psi~
__________________
MetroMPG: "Get the MPG gauge - it turns driving into a fuel & money saving game."

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
welcome!
Plenty of little ways to achieve better mpg. go thru the '65' list.
What's the 65 list?

I bought my truck with looked-cool-in-the-1980s 15x8 4x4 alloy wheels and noisy 205/60/15 tires so I want to downsize (upgrade?) those to 14" steelies and get some Kumho ecowing KH30 195/75/14.

Also looking for information on the legality of my diesel conversion plan. I want to get an OM602 turbodiesel out of a 1991-1993 Mercedes Benz 300D but I'm getting conflicting information on the weight of the donor vehicle being a few hundred lbs. more GVW than my truck. Also unclear if I have to keep the automatic tranny out of the Benz or if I can use my 5 speed manual and driveline.

How tough or easy it is to do a diesel conversion in this state seems to vary depending on which state referee office you take the vehicle to.

Anyway, no reason why I can't hot rod around a bit in a *****in sounding diesel with a turbo spooling up while not feel guilty about killing our troops and messing up our air and water doing it and getting much better MPG than I'm getting now. Right?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw the 65 list. Thanks!

Last edited by noahwins; 02-11-2013 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: n00b
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder
 
Gealii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 642

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 67 Times in 59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
What's the 65 list?

I bought my truck with looked-cool-in-the-1980s 15x8 4x4 alloy wheels and noisy 205/60/15 tires so I want to downsize (upgrade?) those to 14" steelies and get some Kumho ecowing KH30 195/75/14.

Also looking for information on the legality of my diesel conversion plan. I want to get an OM602 turbodiesel out of a 1991-1993 Mercedes Benz 300D but I'm getting conflicting information on the weight of the donor vehicle being a few hundred lbs. more GVW than my truck. Also unclear if I have to keep the automatic tranny out of the Benz or if I can use my 5 speed manual and driveline.

How tough or easy it is to do a diesel conversion in this state seems to vary depending on which state referee office you take the vehicle to.

Anyway, no reason why I can't hot rod around a bit in a *****in sounding diesel with a turbo spooling up while not feel guilty about killing our troops and messing up our air and water doing it. Right?
This is the 65 list 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

You would not have to keep the auto trans you would just need an adapter plate from motor to tranny. The weight wouldn't be an issue if the donor car weighs more the only problem is if the engine ways more than your trucks current motor and then all you would have to do is upgrade the suspension and possibly tires load ratings.

And making it legal would be on your area like if you have no state inspection or a strict inspection
__________________



"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So cool that the items on the 65 list have a huge crossover with the tuning tricks for power everyone knows, like alternator/ac/power steering delete, electric fans, etc.

I guess it's all the same game, turn as much of that heat energy into moving the vehicle forward.

How cool I found this forum. I can tell I'm among "my people." (You mean geeks? -Ed.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
You would not have to keep the auto trans you would just need an adapter plate from motor to tranny. The weight wouldn't be an issue if the donor car weighs more the only problem is...
Ah ha! But this is the People's Republic of California we speak of, my friend. It's a tougher to do here than in loose or no smog law states like Michigan, where I've seen guys dump mammoth industrial Cummins TDs into their Toyotas or Jeeps.

One state referee told me that the transmission from the donor has to swap over, another told me is just has to stay the same configuration (i.e. RWD to RWD, making it illegal to swap a diesel from a FWD like a VW into my RWD truck).

Also the weight thing is unclear, I'm not sure if the donor can't be pound for pound heavier than the don-ee or if they have to be in the same ballpark or what.

The laws are very vague so it gets arbitrary and can depend on whether the state referee had Sanka or the real stuff that morning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Synthetic axle/wheel bearing lube
Wow, you guys are as obsessive and insane as me! I love it!

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder
 
Gealii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 642

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Thanks: 10
Thanked 67 Times in 59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahwins View Post
Ah ha! But this is the People's Republic of California we speak of, my friend. It's a tougher to do here than in loose or no smog law states like Michigan, where I've seen guys dump mammoth industrial Cummins TDs into their Toyotas or Jeeps.

One state referee told me that the transmission from the donor has to swap over, another told me is just has to stay the same configuration (i.e. RWD to RWD, making it illegal to swap a diesel from a FWD like a VW into my RWD truck).

Also the weight thing is unclear, I'm not sure if the donor can't be pound for pound heavier than the don-ee or if they have to be in the same ballpark or what.

The laws are very vague so it gets arbitrary and can depend on whether the state referee had Sanka or the real stuff that morning.
It is great being in a nonsmog state ive never had a vehicle inspected most thats ever happened is checking vin from car to title.

I dont see how they could tell whether the original setup had an auto trans or not. unless codes are being thrown for not detecting a tranny.
__________________



"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
I dont see how they could tell whether the original setup had an auto trans or not. unless codes are being thrown for not detecting a tranny.
VIN will say if it's auto or manual. Maybe they're looking for the VIN stamped on the block somewhere or the EPA sticker or they want the VIN off the title of the donor car. Or maybe they don't care about the VIN at all and will take your word for it about what the donor car was.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
mcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,523

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Thanks: 2,203
Thanked 658 Times in 474 Posts
you need to look at the CA regs on the donor issue. I lived there 15 yrs!
anything over 25 yrs old is exempt....which was a big help when I dropped a new motor in my 66 mustang several yrs ago

__________________
MetroMPG: "Get the MPG gauge - it turns driving into a fuel & money saving game."

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com