Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
certifiable Gizmologist

Lola - '84 Mercedes 300SD S class
90 day: 24.7 mpg (US)
So Cal Diesel project

my name is Jon-Paul,
i'm working on a few projects, i'm a mechanical engineer and own a small fab shop that builds race chassis for off road and road race trucks and cars. we have been playing with diesel projects for a while, and recently have been playing with wvo and bio fuels. So i thought it would be fun to put a diesel in my little S-10 truck. i thought id use a OM617 engine. well i figure i had better get one first so can learn about them and the nature of the beast.

So I bought 2 80's mercedes 300sd's one was a 84 in great shape but needing some tune up work. the other was a 81 and had a little rougher life. which will be the donor car for the S10. I have been playing with the 84 to see what kind of mileage and how it reacts to bio fuels.

Im looking for any suggestions anyone may have to get better mileage with out taking away too much from the mercedes class and charm. The S-10 diesel swap will start a ways down the road. I 'm also looking for information on wvo and bio fuels, maybe ideas about hho( i know the math on this but it seems that if done correctly on diesel and wvo it may provide a small gain in terms of more complete combustion. again not sure yet just looking into it .) this is a project and mostly for fun. Really Im doing this to get some real world info for my S-10 project. so again im here to listen, learn and help if i can, thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome! The Mercs seem to be very strong in accepting other fuels.

Seek out the older pages here. The front pages, as it were, don't stay that way too long!

Ask, post; repeat!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Welcome. Diesel projects are always a favorite.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
My 2¢. Waste Vegetable Oil is appealing because it saves the trouble of refining down your own Bio-Diesel. However, when you make Bio-D from vegetable oil you remove the glycerin (the stuff soap is made from). I have seen photos on other forums of some sludged up engines that have been running on WVO. There is a lot more mechanical complexity involved in running WVO with solenoids and heated oil tanks etc. My thought would be to get the diesel swap running well on Bio-D first and then see if you still want to go to the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Reply  Post New Thread