Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Cuttlefish - '06 VW Golf TDI
New here -- TDI in Jackson Hole

Hey all, been lurking here for a few weeks and learning a lot, so much wisdom to absorb.

I've just started working on a set of fully reversible mods for my '06 TDI Golf, including rear wheel fairings, smooth wheel covers, and a removable partial kammback.

Anybody have experience with grille blocks on this generation of VW? I'd like to add one if the return seems worthwhile but I'm a bit worried about restricting my air intake on the diesel without knowing exactly what I'm doing.

Cheers,
Matt

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Spec - '03 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V
90 day: 30.74 mpg (US)
Greetings. Ah a TDI, I would love to have one of those, twice the torque and twice the gas milage

As for grill blocks, I would be surprised if there isn't somebody here with a TDI that has tried it already. If not just block as much as you dare and go for a spin, if the temp needle moves, make the hole bigger. Thats how I'll end up doing if if I make a grill block for my car.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Schwartzejetta - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI GL
90 day: 52.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
Hey all, been lurking here for a few weeks and learning a lot, so much wisdom to absorb.

I've just started working on a set of fully reversible mods for my '06 TDI Golf, including rear wheel fairings, smooth wheel covers, and a removable partial kammback.

Anybody have experience with grille blocks on this generation of VW? I'd like to add one if the return seems worthwhile but I'm a bit worried about restricting my air intake on the diesel without knowing exactly what I'm doing.

Cheers,
Matt
Welcome aboard Matt!

A surprising amount of the radiator / grill can be blocked, even in summer. Diesels get more efficient when the engine block and the compression chambers are up to, and kept at the normal operating temperature.

There's a few things I'd recommend, namely:

- Test grill blocks with something that's easily reversable (Tape, or cardboard, or plastic film you can cut a hole into, to provide more air if you find coolant temperatures rising up too high).

- If you're using the car for more stop and go traffic in an urban setting, you'll need more area open (Being that you're in Wyoming, that's LESS likely).
If you're primarily doing highway driving, you can stand to block most of the upper and lower grill on your Mk V. As evilskillit, mentioned, if it gets too warm, make a bigger hole.

- Winter you can cover up nearly EVERYTHING without worries. If it's at or below freezing, your car will warm up faster, and you and the car will be warmer. I quick checked for the overall weather pattern there - you get warm days, cool nights in the summer, and ... moderately cold averages in winter. Whenever the Temperature hits 40F or lower consistantly, you'll benefit from everything but the engine intake, and intercooler blocked up.

I've the previous generation TDI, so I can't give Mk V generation specific tips, but I can give you an idea what to look for based on the Mk III and Mk IV.

You want to trace out where the intake for your Mark V Golf is pulling in air. Wherever that is, you need to leave some of that grill open directly in front of this.

On the MkIV I have, the engine air intake is the top Driver's side quadrant of the upper grill. On Mk III's, the engine takes in air from the passenger fender.

The intercooler for the Mk IV is the lower passenger side scoop, the driver's side only has the horn (so, it's for show, and can be covered without issue).

If you don't mind your test rig looking only semi terrible, most of the the grills that cover the open areas can be popped out and replaced back in. You could use something sturdy like a contractor grade black garbage bag to cover a scoop, which'll allow you to quickly open up any areas you may need by either placing tape on it, then cutting it to leave a stable hole, or if you're overheating, just cut the bigger hole *period*.

My own car, I used black Gorilla Duct Tape in late 2007 to cover over my upper grill on my Mk IV. No one noticed it, oddly enough, unless I pointed it out that it was Duct Tape. I found on mine, that I needed about 1/4 of the top grill in front of the intake open, and roughly 1/4 of the lower grill open to supply enough air to keep the coolant temperatures in a stable 80-90C range while at highway speeds in summer's peak temperatures. That and I found that I could block my upper and achieve better mileage, while leaving the lower open/partly blocked. Of course, different generation, so YMMV.

So, take your pick on test materials to determine the size of the openings you'll need to operate the car without overheating. August heat, a long highway run, then crawling in stop and go traffic will let you know your absolute worst case cooling needs.

Test... then blaze the trail for Mk V Volkswagen owners, and figure out a more permanent setup.
matthew (08-03-2010)
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful! Looks like I've definitely got some testing to do, should be fun. Any idea what to expect in terms of efficiency gains for a grille block on a car like this? It may be a little while before I get to the grille as I've got a few other mods in the pipeline, but when I do I'll share my findings.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ChrstphrR, noticed on your vehicle profile that you're thinking about rear wheel fairing material to match a silver car. I've got a silver VW as well, and just finished some fairings made from aluminum flashing -- the color match is pretty good and it's fairly easy stuff to work with; you might consider it...
Old 08-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thank you for that tip! I was thinking black plastic otherwise, because matching silver can be a pain.

I had already bought aluminum bar stock for the lower support long ago, but my fab plans were on hold until I had cleared space in my dad's shop to do the work needed. Aluminum flashing would match up ... without corrosion.

For attachment points, I was planning to follow on MetroMPG's mounting brackets made of copper tubing.

[url]http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-plastic-rear-wheel-skirts-geo-metro-103-2.html#post37306[url]

However, since VW tends to make the fender lip fairly wide, and flush with the inner fender lining, I was planning to use mounting screws, since they're well spaced on the fender on the MkIV, and have them hug the contour of the inner liner, to the outside edge to mount onto the skirt. This would mean screw/bolt heads protruding on the outside of the skirt. To me, it seems a liveable design compromise. How are you mounting yours?

Hrm, and thinking back to the colour matching: Eventually I'll have to repaint my car. All that driving out in the western provinces was rough on the paint, both from me and the original owner. I'll be spot touching up some areas just to keep rust at bay before it's more than a surface issue. But, when the time comes to repaint the car, painting up the eventual side skirts would help.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I used aluminum bar stock to make 5 brackets that attach to the wheel well using the existing screws. Three of these brackets are mount points for the fairing frame, and two are tabs that hold the flashing flush with the edge of the well. The aero would probably be slightly better if the fairings were flush with the outside of the wheel well rim rather than the inside, but I was willing to sacrifice a bit for aesthetics and simplicity.

Last edited by matthew; 08-06-2010 at 02:25 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matthew For This Useful Post:
ChrstphrR (08-06-2010), COcyclist (10-18-2020)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Very nice!

Thank you for putting up the photo of the brackets too. Seems like you used the same sort of mounting points, only using all aluminum.

I'll probably prototype with the copper bits, to take measurements ... though now, I think I'll make the jump when I make the final set, and go to aluminum.

Are you intending to make the front grill block(s) from that aluminum flashing too?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah, planning to use the aluminum for the front grill blocks too -- at least the lower ones. The upper grill is a bit trickier because it's not inset like the lower ones, so a panel won't fit as cleanly over it; haven't figured out the solution there yet...
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aww, the poor thing, it would actually be a pretty car. but i see your motivation.

Reply  Post New Thread