Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
New IPhone Scam people not in address book show up with name during calls

Something new I’ve never seen

Scam phone calls now come up on my phone with someone’s first and last name

Thing is they are nobody I know and are not in any of my address books and do not work where I do.

Very irritating for screening phone calls when it gives a strangers name on the call instead of the number , my address book is too large to memorize so I guess I get to answer scam calls, the you called me calls and a bunch of other BS.

And I don’t use “apps” so you gotta wonder how I’m getting unrelated names on calls.

I find the practice of hiding the number horrifying, I can normally tell by number when it’s garbage

Ah Well

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-10-2022, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
....so I guess I get to answer scam calls
Is it an English-as-second-language guy, who when you say you're not interested demands to know why?

Old 02-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Depending on age/current version: android has a button in settings that allows auto block of anyone not in your contacts to be auto blocked, otherwise a lessor setting of name required is defaulted to. This does demand you to keep updating contacts, and hope they aren't a multi line concern.

Not apple qualified, but I understand their system is more refined.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
On iphone you can send unknown numbers straight to voicemail

Open Settings on your iPhone.
Choose the “Phone” option.
Select “Silence Unknown Callers.”
Toggle the button next to “Silence Unknown Callers” to on.

I know any number from my area code is spam. I have LONG since moved to the other side of the country and nobody that I currently communicate with has the same area code as my number.

People that actually know me know not to leave a voicemail and send me a text
Old 02-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
I have not in contacts option for texts, so people can only leave voicemail which won't disable the idiots wanting me to extend the factory warranty on the 1988 Ranger. Can't stop email except for nobody except immediate family gets the second account name and the first account isn't in the phone and the third one is ignored.

OTOH, some members of my family posted all sorts of my personal info online without my permission. Unsure how badly I feel about that, but I did sign up the worst offending one for all sorts of scam emails.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 02-12-2022 at 09:55 AM..
Old 02-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In the last week my landline phone failed. I spent 4 days and 8 attempts to find one on the used market. Then 2 days and four attempts to buy a new one. The only thing I could find is an AT&T phone from the CCP.

If I opened it up could I identify a modem chip if there was one? Can I put a landline phone behind my firewall?

On Monday I shall look to military surplus stores to see if they escaped the purge.

Old 02-12-2022, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
In the last week my landline phone failed. I spent 4 days and 8 attempts to find one on the used market. Then 2 days and four attempts to buy a new one. The only thing I could find is an AT&T phone from the CCP.

If I opened it up could I identify a modem chip if there was one? Can I put a landline phone behind my firewall?

On Monday I shall look to military surplus stores to see if they escaped the purge.
It took me 15 seconds to find dozens of landlines phone for sale on Amazon.

Seems you are taking your new signature to heart and making problems were there aren't any.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Amazon? The outfit that threw a somebody else's package in my carport last Sunday?

I just took a phone call from a stranger who asserted Walmart was disputing someone's order and talk to our representative. As I said howaboutyougofyourself, the voice talked over me and said 'hang up to confirm'. So someone is getting scammed by online commerce. And it's my fault.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Amazon? The outfit that threw a somebody else's package in my carport last Sunday?

I just took a phone call from a stranger who asserted Walmart was disputing someone's order and talk to our representative. As I said howaboutyougofyourself, the voice talked over me and said 'hang up to confirm'. So someone is getting scammed by online commerce. And it's my fault.
Amazon - the company that delivers items 1 to 2 days after you order them to your doorstep.

Don't like Amazon - Walmart will also ship to you door our you can pick up in the store.

Cordless phone for $19
https://www.walmart.com/ip/VTech-CS6...e&athbdg=L1600

Corded phone for $13
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vtech-Cd1...ntent=In-store

The idea that you have spent 6 days attempting to buy a landline phone is mind-blowing to me.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Amazon - the company that delivers items 1 to 2 days after you order them to your somebody's doorstep.
The idea that you have spent 6 days attempting to buy a landline phone is mind-blowing to me.
Me too! I expected to find something for ~$8 in a day.

I actually went into a Walmart a year ago because they listed Ender 3 printers on their website. Not only did they not have them in stock, they had no mechanism for paying cash in the store for pickup. Haven't been back.

From this distance, credit cards and online commerce seem like a hive of scum and villainy. We're starting to see the problems manifest, with GoFMe manipulated by a national government.

Reply  Post New Thread