Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mirage - '93 Mitsubishi Mirage ES
90 day: 41.92 mpg (US)
Oh, I almost forgot:

I also removed a wiper. It was kind of broken, so I stripped off the whole mechanism and simplified it to only run the left side wiper. I looked at some more sleeker looking wipers, but they were too expensive for my (cheap) taste.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Update:

I finished the last tank of me driving like a maniac (70 MPH, no regard for economy at all). $20 of fuel would net me at current prices around 7.3 gallons. That would last for only 200 or so miles.

Today, at 200 miles, with the gas gauge on empty, I was able to squeeze 42 more miles with P&G!
That improved my MPG from 28 to 33! A 5MPG increase from just trying out P&G.

To say that I'm excited is to understate it. This is really fun. I could have gone for the last drop of fuel, but I did not want to get stranded (if I had some spare fuel in the trunk I would have tried it, next time maybe).

This after doing P&G, filling the tires to 44PSI, and removing the mirrors. The car still has a bunch of heavy stuff inside, and the aero has not been really changed.

I'll P&G this whole tank, and then proceed to do the aero mods.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeliesuncle View Post
Update:

I finished the last tank of me driving like a maniac (70 MPH, no regard for economy at all). $20 of fuel would net me at current prices around 7.3 gallons. That would last for only 200 or so miles.

Today, at 200 miles, with the gas gauge on empty, I was able to squeeze 42 more miles with P&G!
That improved my MPG from 28 to 33! A 5MPG increase from just trying out P&G.

To say that I'm excited is to understate it. This is really fun. I could have gone for the last drop of fuel, but I did not want to get stranded (if I had some spare fuel in the trunk I would have tried it, next time maybe).

This after doing P&G, filling the tires to 44PSI, and removing the mirrors. The car still has a bunch of heavy stuff inside, and the aero has not been really changed.

I'll P&G this whole tank, and then proceed to do the aero mods.
Reducing the weight of the car would help with MPG too.
For example you can remove junk from the trunk, extra passenger seats and head rests.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I plan on:

Removing all the crap from inside the car. it's full of trash from the last owner.

Removing a tool box I carry just in case. I will downgrade to a smaller toolbox. The current one weighs like a ton.

Replace the full size spare tire with a space saver. Also get a scissors jack.

Remove the passenger seat.

I also plan to remove the A/C.

It's a pretty stripped down car. No power anything.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Honda was good about using 10mm hex for everything, so I have a very small set of hand tools that live in the car: three sockets, two extensions, one ratchet, two screwdrivers, vise grips, duct tape, and zip ties. That's all. The hand tools probably weigh 3lbs, and I can remove just about any part with them.

I hear it's warm in Puerto Rico. If it was my car, I'd keep the A/C, but perhaps you're better acclimatized than I am.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeliesuncle View Post
I plan on:

Removing all the crap from inside the car. it's full of trash from the last owner.

Removing a tool box I carry just in case. I will downgrade to a smaller toolbox. The current one weighs like a ton.

Replace the full size spare tire with a space saver. Also get a scissors jack.

Remove the passenger seat.

I also plan to remove the A/C.

It's a pretty stripped down car. No power anything.
Removing the rear seats would help reduce weight as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, it would. But then I could not take my daughter with me. She still uses a booster seat, and likes riding around with daddy. =)
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Honda was good about using 10mm hex for everything, so I have a very small set of hand tools that live in the car: three sockets, two extensions, one ratchet, two screwdrivers, vise grips, duct tape, and zip ties. That's all. The hand tools probably weigh 3lbs, and I can remove just about any part with them.

I hear it's warm in Puerto Rico. If it was my car, I'd keep the A/C, but perhaps you're better acclimatized than I am.
You are right. I just need basic hand tools. I'm just very OCD about having tools in every one of my cars. I will use your list as a guide.

Warm does not even start to describe it. It is HOT. Today was a bit over 90, with a lot of wind. I will remove the A/C because it is broken and I don't want to spend any money fixing it.
I'm used to driving around with the windows down, though.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A little update:

I taped the front of the car. Left just a small opening for the radiator to get some fresh air.
Have not tested yet, as I'm getting used to driving differently and what not, but I swear that I can coast a bit longer than before. Also, coasting speed seems to be higher by a couple of MPH.
Am I nuts?

PS- I think I'm on my way to getting to or really close to 50MPG! =)
Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another question:

How do we go on letting the air flowing through the engine compartment flow out?

When I go with a belly pan, I don't see how it would work. Do I open a vent in the hood? Sort of like an Lancer Evo?

Reply  Post New Thread