Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I was wondering that myself, but Oregon does not have sales tax. I've never bought a phone before, so is it possible there is some sort of FCC tax for the phone?
I'd ask about it in the RW community. They are fairly knowledgeable, and since it is all online, the Admin are pretty prompt. Though I couldn't speak to service now that it is Christmas/time

Searching around, not too much info available right now.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

RepublicWireless.com now has their new phone out, and now has the Referral Program Back.

Here the Specs on the G

It is more "powerful" than the Moto X, but not as user experience friendly. I do prefer the X, and advise that as the way to go. Moto Maker was the worst internet purchase experience I have ever made, but the Moto X from RW worked flawlessly and without issue.

As also mentioned, the RAF program is up and actually better than ever. If you already have RW, use this process to refer friends:
-Sign in (top right corner)
-Click "My Account"
-Click "Referrals"
-Use any of those methods to spread the love.

Remember, when someone else uses it, BOTH of you get $20 towards your next bill. $10/month plan? Two months paid. $5/month plan? Four months paid.

I advise using your own code to spread the love, and get yourself free time, and the next person free time. Now, the new person gets it right off of their purchase- no waiting until they get their bills. If you don't have a friend with RW, I will be posting my code at the bottom in small print. If you have a friend with RW, use their code! But if you don't, you and I will both save $20.

PM me for a code if you're interested.

Best Tanks:
Old 12-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

New Moto X in just a few days!

I am super pumped about it! Mine will be Black front, Walnut back, and still deciding on the accents...red or yellow (which hopefully look green, like they do on my LCDs).

The device is $400. You can learn more about the device here: Motorola Moto X (CDMA, 2nd gen.) Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

To learn more about RW with the new X, go here: https://republicwireless.com/info/ph...oto-x-2nd-gen/

So far, this has been my cost with RW NOT including the sale of my old device (Defy XT), and not including referrals. So just expenses so far, about $50 per month. Adding in the new X and the referrals will do who knows what to it, but will surely help.

So how do I like the service? I love it. Is it the best? HECK NO!
Where I live, there is close to no service. Verizon, TMO, whatever. But I love to travel, go weird places, do whatever whenever. There is nothing stopping me from that with any other company...but when I hit zero service, I can use WiFi. I jump on, and I have full signal. Airplane? Cruise? Out of the country? WIFI!

But the real perk? If I only want WiFi, then $5 per month. Full phone functioning as if on Airport, unless on WiFi. So I want calls and SMS? $10. But I am a gluten, and want me 3G...so I pay $25.

Quite a few people here are already on it, but I wanted to bring it up to let people know. There is a good selection of phones right now.

X(2)- 399
X- 299
G*- 149
E- 99

* There is a new G, so be on the lookout for that being added. The new G is rather comparable with the old X, and DOES accept [micro] SD cards, so it is a contender as long as Okay Google Now isn't critical.

I doubt the old X will drop in price, but expect the used market to start seeing more and more old Xs. Mine is up on eBay as we speak, so if you want a good deal on it (10% off for any EMers), PM me and I will give you the link. Keep in mind, two weeks to a month from now, you will probably have better offers. As the new X hits the streets, more and more people will be picking them up and replacing their old gear.

Although I am shamelessly plugging here, I love the brand, and I hope others chime in with their experience, pros and cons. I am sure there are more negatives, I just don't give them much mind for the price.

Best Tanks:
Old 12-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm puzzled here. You're paying $25/month for phone service, and think it's a great deal? I'm paying a bit over $7 month ($21.99 for 90 days, IIRC) for a Tracphone.

You pay anywhere from $99 to $399 for the phone itself, and think that's a great deal? I paid something like $30 for mine.

You've had to buy (if I understand your spreadsheet correctly) 3 phones in a year and a half, spending a total of $700? I've had that $30 one of mine for longer, and it still works fine.

Far from being a great deal, it seems to me as though you're getting screwed. Maybe not as roughly as some of the major companies might screw you, but they still aren't going to respect you in the morning :-)
Old 12-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
What kind of phone and service is that tracphone?

This is a new model smartphone with a full data plan.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

So you have unlimited calling, unlimited text messaging, and unlimited data for $7 per month?!?!? Links please!!!

How much is the gen 2 Motorola X on there? When is it getting lollipop?

And I bought my first phone, but when the new one came out, I decided to upgraded. When the next one comes out, I am deciding upgrading again. I should get together the referrals I had to make an accurate estimate.

You really have to link me. The only trac phones I have seen have been burners for drug dealers. I didn't know people really used them, or they had decent phones. If they have actual production models that like, come with cameras bigger than 1 mega pixel, or are more advanced than the jitterbug, it could be a great option.

Best Tanks:
Old 12-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I went to that site...trac phone. Err, they don't spell phone like phone, "fone."

They don't actually carry the X. Their nicest phone is only $79.99, and it gets a 3 MP camera!

In 9 days I have 37 pages of 20 items over calling and SMS. So over 2,220 Calls/SMS each month, before data.

Best Tanks:
Old 12-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
So you have unlimited calling, unlimited text messaging, and unlimited data for $7 per month?!?!?
Not unlimited, but more than I actually use. I'll grant that I have better things to do with my time than spend it on pointless gabbing & texting.

Quote:
I didn't know people really used them, or they had decent phones. If they have actual production models that like, come with cameras bigger than 1 mega pixel, or are more advanced than the jitterbug, it could be a great option.
Don't know what you mean by 'jitterbug' (wasn't it a kind of dancing from the 'Roaring Twenties'?), and also have trouble figuring out what you mean by 'decent' phones. I can call anyone I want, or send text messages to them, and receive the same. What more would I want from a phone? If I want to take pictures, I have several decent-quality digital cameras.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
I have my wife on Republic through UltArc's referral and she is very happy with the $25/mo unlimited phone/text/3G. She has been using the Moto X for over a year and sees no reason to replace it.

That said, I just bought an LG Volt for Mom and Dad for $30 each, and have them signed up with Ringplus. The Bella plan is $10/mo for each device and provides 400 minutes, 400 text, and 300MB data. The catch is that you listen to ads instead of hearing the normal phone ring when you place a call.

I'd go with Ringplus myself if I didn't have my ridiculously expensive iPhone/ATT provided by work. It's hard to beat a $30 smart phone and $10/mo plan.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

That isn't bad at all! I imagine I could do with less calling, SMS, and MMS if I used facebook or twitter. I just can't do it...it hurts my brain.

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread