Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Sure, it's better than nothing, but it's not going to help as much as a full front belly pan, and those holes are going to kill some gains, especially the front one... you can probably already imagine the parachute effect that one particularly will have, since part of it is cut through an angle.

Looking at the first pic, it would be pretty simple to just get a sheet of ABS plastic and trim it to fit the mounting holes in the bottom of the bumper cover, then trim it back to fit into the cross-member and between any moving parts on either side.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could make some spats on the front belly pan at each side that would keep the air from flowing through the suspension components that can't normally be covered, due to movement.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
a thin sheet of alluminum and some braces won't cost that much... thin aluminum can be bend to straight edges over a sharp table edge fro example.... since you're not building it for offroading the aluminum can really be quite thin... if you fold up all the edges at a 90 degree angle the resulting shape is far less floppy than the original sheet, and when attached to existing or fabricated supports it will really work well.

mine cost around 12 € if i remenber correct

mine can be seen here
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post35193

i've also made a small simulation of the hatch spoiler,... the result is see saw pattern of alternating vortices, the spoiler below the window seems to prevent the upwashing vortex from rolling over the window. this could prevent the deposit of dirt etc... in this case the bottom of the spoiler seems more important than the top, wich might explain the shape of the ax spoiler

the pink area is a residue of the big pink vortex... so likely it won't help FE, but if won't hurt it eider and it will keep the window clean
Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Hello ptr, and welcome on-board.

Why not trying rear wheel skirts ?

Also you didn't talked about your driving style. Since I'm doing pulse & glide (in neutral, engine on) I improved a lot: the secret is to wait, wait, wait... Of course on 2 lanes roads some people may be angry about that, but more and more people are going more slowly.

I put rear wheel skirts (coroplast and tape) at the beginning of the current tank and I can coast longer. On two low down slopes I can see the car accelerating while it was slowing down before. I can also feel the car being more nervous, and my old "fast accelerations" habits are coming back .

I didn't finished my current tank yet (I love my logic so much ) because I'm waiting to see when the idiot light (ie empty tank) will lit on, but I should beat my record

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
ptr
EcoModding Lurker

If the weather is ok i will try to make at least a partial front undertray, i have something like coroplast but thicker. From the same material i intend to do the rear undertray.
My driving habits are normal, using engine brake a lot, drafting when it's possible. But these mods are not really helping in my country. The fuel is poor quality and we don't have the roads to drive steady for a long time. The best fuel consumption i got so far was last summer when i made a trip to other countryes in europe. The fuel consumption was 37mpg over 3100miles , with AC on and most of it at speeds like 80mph.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
ptr
EcoModding Lurker

Well, today i finally mounted the front undertray. I hope to have the time this weekend to test it. It looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alvaz_1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	3199   Click image for larger version

Name:	s_2_4.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	3200  
Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi all... this is my first post!

Anyway, you may try to put some vortex generators at the front undertray as well. AutoSpeed.com has a good article about it.

Reply  Post New Thread