Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Demonstration Vehicles | Clean Automotive Technology | Transportation and Air Quality| US EPA

Look at the demonstration vehicle at the bottom of the linked article. A passenger car with an EPA rating of 80 MPG combined.

In that 198 page document they admitted that the bent axis pump used in the vehicle had serious problems with high speed efficiency. The quote I remember was them asking for a "clean sheet of paper design" for a drive pump-motor that would not suffer the high speed efficiency losses of the bent axis pump they used which ran at prop shaft speed through a regular differential.

That knowledge was the basis of my design which is located in the wheels of the vehicle and not only is much more efficient at high speeds, BUT IT NEVER HAS TO RUN AT HIGH SPEEDS IN THE FIRST PLACE, unless your are talking about 200+ MPH.

regards
Mech
Those demo vehicles show how criminal our current offerings for good fuel economy cars really are. With a full series HHV Diesel Sedan we should have several 100+mpg options available to choose from...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
The quote I remember was them asking for a "clean sheet of paper design" for a drive pump-motor that would not suffer the high speed efficiency losses of the bent axis pump they used which ran at prop shaft speed through a regular differential.

That knowledge was the basis of my design which is located in the wheels of the vehicle and not only is much more efficient at high speeds, BUT IT NEVER HAS TO RUN AT HIGH SPEEDS IN THE FIRST PLACE, unless your are talking about 200+ MPH.

regards
Mech
Mech, I have often wondered if the so called "air car" could be made from a 10 mile range 900lb 25mph top speed 8% efficiency car to something more usuable and efficient if we were to combine air over hydraulic with one of your drives.

I would think putting high pressure on a hydraulic system directly and driving off that could result in more efficiency then trying to use the air in a traditional piston pusher

Compressed-Air Hybrid Tech: Peugeot To Offer In 2016 On Subcompacts

http://www.popsci.com/article/cars/car-runs-air

I still can't make heads or tails as to whether peugeots idea for air hybrid is real or what they have to gain for continuing down the air path.

Tanks aren't much cheaper than batteries but maybe last longer?

Not sure

Cheers
Ryan
Old 05-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Look at my two linked earlier threads on this forum. I think you will see I proposed exactly what they are doing several years ago. They are just catching up with my thinking, and I have had 2 years and 5 years to refine those thoughts.
My thread.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-21646.html

The problem is that the design of the Roots is fundamentally an extremely lossy process as the manifold air undergoes free expansion. Modern superchargers (namely Eaton TVS) have been able to get the efficiency very high in a certain range by "tuning" the outlets, utilizing acoustic effects to improve the cycle. However the tuned outlets don't work in reverse, so you'd be looking at maybe only 20% efficiency in recovering the energy. Still, better than 0, I would love to try this with a CVT or electric supercharger one day.

It should at the very least work better than a centrifugal blower driven as a turbine, because the inducer/exducer area ratio on that is not 1, even if you block off the inlet to increase velocity.

Last edited by serialk11r; 05-20-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
ELECTRIC supercharger:

1) uses 42Vdc not 12Vdc
2) uses a lot, LOTS more current
3) ...but, only SHORT burst of operation, NOT continuous!

The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
Cobb (05-20-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread