Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2024, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Outside of the box

New from upstate NY

Hey folks, new member but not so new to lurking on ecomodder. Been stalking the site for the better part of 7 years.

Anyway, I work on a lot of TDIs and do everything I can with them and also have a small clientele in doing timing jobs on them for people that may not want to get into them but would like to keep them alive.

I currently have 2 project cars both getting love, a 2001 2dr mk4 golf getting an alh/bhw hybrid build (and not like the fuel/electric hybrid) that is getting a pretty extensive fab job to get lifted and compound turbos etc etc etc which is not on my ecomodding list, and then my 03 4dr mk4 golf getting a crank up rebuild 6 speed swapped and every mileage mod I can think of while I have it in pieces as far as engine efficiency goes. The game plan is power and efficiency. 185hp will be double the factory numbers and the hopes are to get it to hypermill 60+ mpg... anyone think I'm crazy?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2024, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
anyone think I'm crazy?
Well you lurked for seven years before posting, so there's that.

"...an alh/bhw hybrid build"? Explain like I'm five.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
ECO-AKJ (02-17-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Outside of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Well you lurked for seven years before posting, so there's that.

"...an alh/bhw hybrid build"? Explain like I'm five.
A BHW is a pd tdi 2.0l only ever offered in America in 04 and 05 passats. The bottom end of this engine is the only one of its kind to my knowledge. Bigger crank mains, bigger rod journals, more robust rods and of course, 2.0 displacement. Because it's a pd block, it's very Sunkist to ve injected engines. With little drilling and tapping of the block, balance what delete kit with a different oil pump, a ve timing set will bolt on allowing to run with ve management and injection pump. The alh has will not right on. This combo is more budget friendly than fully building an entire alh tdi and is capable of same power of not more than building the alh. Everything else is not on. It's an excellent choice for a big power build like compound turbos. That coupled with the entire Quattro setup I have from a tt225 should make a nice 4x4 lifted golf and with the trans ratios, I will be able to run a 32 or 33 inch tire with extremely similar rpm to mph as a stock tdi trans on stock tires. I'm hoping that build will stay somewhere in the 30+mpg range. Far from an ecomodder but still eco friendly at the power levels in looking for and the fun factor it'll be capable of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fïve1EïghtTDï For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Thanks. ...I guess.

When you get enough posts (15 or so) you can post pictures of that 4x4 Golf. Please.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Outside of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thanks. ...I guess.

When you get enough posts (15 or so) you can post pictures of that 4x4 Golf. Please.
She's a long way away from that. I can take photos of all the parts I've collected.... fab work on that one won't start till after I get the other one together. The 4x4 gonna be a much bigger build. The 4dr is gonna be a complete engine up efficiency build. Ordering a gtd 4th or 5th generation turbo for that this week and hoping to get the block to machine shop this month.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I don't even remember having ever seen that engine, yet once in a while I see some 1.9 TDI.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Outside of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I don't even remember having ever seen that engine, yet once in a while I see some 1.9 TDI.
The bhw 2.0? 04 05 US sold passat only.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I don't see US-spec Passats so often. Actually the last seemingly US-spec Volkswagen TDI that I spotted on the wild was a Dieselgate-affected Jetta with Paraguayan plates.

Old 02-16-2024, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Once the engine is built to the desired state, the next step is to research bio-fuels, and do aerodynamic mods. We invite you to the Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Outside of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Once the engine is built to the desired state, the next step is to research bio-fuels, and do aerodynamic mods. We invite you to the Green Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.
Green grand prix? Details?

Reply  Post New Thread