Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Moosemobile - '05 Subaru Outback
90 day: 24.66 mpg (US)
Newbie in WY

I've visited this site a few times in the past, but never really hung around too much. After keeping track of my fuel economy for a few fill-ups, I remembered this site and thought that maybe I could get a few more mpg with a little help. I Drive a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon. I just installed a lightweight (not underdrive) crank pulley and installed new Iridium spark plugs; I use 5w30 Mobile1 synthetic oil. I would like to make the front of the car a little more aerodynamically friendly- couple ideas are: lexan over the fog lights and grills, and an under body cover. I like the high ground clearance and I'll probably get some A/T tires soon, which I know aren't good for fuel economy, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little economy for more utility.

I would greatly appreciate some ideas on how to implement the aero-mods (materials, securing, etc.) and I'm always open to new ideas.

I hope to learn a lot from all the smart people I've seen so far in the threads here!

oh, how can I attach the cool green ecomodder.com fuel economy tag as a signature? I like that thing!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Moose.
Welcome to this community. I am also newbie here. Hope you have a great time here.
Enjoy your stay here.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Welcome.

All-wheel-drive Subarus will never be amazing, high-mpg machines, but they're small and aerodynamic enough that the fuel economy isn't terrible, either.

The most dedicated Subaru aeromodder here was Istas, and you should read through his build thread on his car, "Car". Too bad we haven't seen Istas since August.

If you don't like the look of unpainted sheet metal riveted to your car, you can use coroplast (corrugated polypropylene), attached with zip-ties.

As for my Subaru, check out my fuel log. Small mods and careful driving brought me from 22 winter / 26 summer to where I am now.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose05 View Post
...oh, how can I attach the cool green ecomodder.com fuel economy tag as a signature? I like that thing!
Welcome to ecomodder.com!
To add the fuel economy tag to your sig, go here -> how-set-up-your-mileage-signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Moosemobile - '05 Subaru Outback
90 day: 24.66 mpg (US)
Thank you for the welcomes! And for the fuel economy tag link. I have found some good stuff here, and I'd like to get started on smoothing out the front end here soon.