Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #111 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LOL, I see your "quotes" and know that you realize you are simply subsidizing the less cost effective power producers, Neil...

I should check your blog. You are very well informed. I am here to learn, but throwing out a few "ideas" whose time may not yet be here. Everything I mention is feasible.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #112 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thats good to know. We dont have any electrical issues currently. I want to take up welding and would also use the 2nd service for that as well as charging the or an ev if not get one of those security lights too.

I dont think I can get a 440 service.

Isnt 220 3 phase 110 2 phase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeRGRound View Post
Also Prolly BS
Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #113 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Thats good to know. We dont have any electrical issues currently. I want to take up welding and would also use the 2nd service for that as well as charging the or an ev if not get one of those security lights too.

I dont think I can get a 440 service.

Isnt 220 3 phase 110 2 phase?

Level 2 should be fine if you have a 200A 220V (or 240V) service currently, like adding another electric stove. But many factors apply, local codes being a huge factor. Maybe an electrician looked at you service and believes an upgrade is needed of something that I, in a general way, can say "should not be a problem" but if I saw your service and breaker box, I might say it needed an upgrade. Perhaps your meter and service drop is up to task, but you need a bigger main and box which holds more breakers. We have a "6 disconnect rule" around here, and using that I could legally add another "main" parallel feed off the service drop which would feed a Level 2 EV charger. But that is sort of a "loophole". If it is still in effect, I do not do much residential anymore.

Most 220 (nearly ALL) is Single Phase around here.
110v is 1 leg of 220 with a neutral. 220 is 2 hot legs. It is just a center tapped transformer setup, but graphically and geometrically, it is 2 phase but we call it single phase. It comes off the big generators as single phase, and that is what counts. 2 phase actually looks like 4 phase on paper, but it is 2 legs of 2 phase at the generator, divided into 4 legs. Think of a PLUS (+) sign, with the center grounded. That would be the neutral.

It's kinda confusing, but what appears to be 2 phase is single phase. It is also possible to do some really weird geometric "tricks" with the 2 leg single phase and make effectively 3 phase from 1 phase

I had to do this once on the job, make a single phase transformer work for a 3 phase motor. It's called Open Delta, it has a "phantom leg" that is really not there, but the motor is none the wiser

Any 3 phase system for battery charging CAN be ran on single phase, the actual 3 phase input is for the added load, not that it needs 3 phase power. These charger manufacturers are just building equipment that fits the available systems. Single Phase systems are size limited, and the Level 3 chargers are apparently 3 phase for the loads. Prolly 90% PLUS of your US residential customers are on 200A services, or smaller. Single phase, 220V.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #114 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

No nickname - '17 Chevrolet BoltEV Premiere
Thanks for taking the time to do this Neil. I am keeping up with it because at some point I plan to buy an EV. My biggest question is the effects of weather on winter range. As you have the "S," IIRC, you have the original resistance type heater, yes / no? I don't remember the "hybrid" heater being an option on the S.

That said, I will be paying attention to how yours handles it. I am in such a milder {most of the time} winter climate that something that works for you should work for me, adjusting for travel distances of course. My round trip commute is 40 miles and there is exactly zero chance of me charging at work.

Plus, I like your commentary being mostly based on sound data and not guesstimates.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #115 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Yes, the Leaf S only has the resistance heater / defroster available. My sister-in-law's 2012 has averaged ~70 miles range in the winter. The '15 has heated seats all around, and the steering wheel is heated, and the outside mirrors are heated.

So, if you dress for winter, the only time you have to use anything is for the defroster.

My spouse's round trip is ~44 miles and there is no need for charging at work.

My Mom drove Forest last Monday, during the cold rain storm we had (~1.5" of rain that day) and she did see how to turn on the defroster, and so she had the heat and A/C on (nearly?) full for much of her drive. I drove the last ~25 miles carefully, but I did have to also use the defroster some. That charge went ~70 miles with about 12 miles left (2 bars).

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 PM   #116 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That makes better sense. What would cause this? We use to have a problem in Hampton where lights would work ok, but anything with an electric motor in it would not run. Someone said we were missing a phase or leg of power. Seems the power company had an issue with a transfer or sub stations somewhere and had to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeRGRound View Post
Most 220 (nearly ALL) is Single Phase around here. 110v is 1 leg of 220 with a neutral. 220 is 2 hot legs. It is just a center tapped transformer setup, but graphically and geometrically, it is 2 phase but we call it single phase.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #117 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
That makes better sense. What would cause this? We use to have a problem in Hampton where lights would work ok, but anything with an electric motor in it would not run. Someone said we were missing a phase or leg of power. Seems the power company had an issue with a transfer or sub stations somewhere and had to fix it.
If the electric motor was 110vac and wouldn't run off the wall that was pretty serious.

Only way that could happen is if the AC was missing the lower or upper portion of the signwave or if the frequency was irratic enough but you should still get some motion.

Now if 220vac motors wouldn't run it would be because only the 110vac was there and the other half was missing.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #118 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
I am going to check the odometer today with the GPS, and the Nokian Hakka R2's on the car. They seem to coast very well, and are slightly noisier than the stock tires, but they are very quiet for winter tires. I'll post a picture.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #119 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Here's what the Nokian Hakka R2's look like:

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 11-22-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #120 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
The 'sipe-cuts' look like they were carved by drunks (ha,ha)!

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
electric car, leaf