Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Nissan Leaf antenna removal questions--Involved with SatNav + SiriusXM, or JUST Sirius/AM/FM?

Hello all. I want to murder this antenna:

I have a few questions.

1) As I understand it, this is the Sirius XM and AM/FM radio antenna. Does anyone know if this is where the SatNav gets its info from too?

2) I have loosened the antenna mount from the roof, but can't find the connector to disconnect the wires. It seems to go behind a steel plate that the side curtain airbag inflator is attached to and there is no way I'm messing with that steel plate. To get this far in the first place I had to pull the headliner about halfway down the length of the car, so I have to use mirrors to look. The wire seems to disappear. This leads us to question 3

3) IF the SatNav ISN'T tied into the Sirius XM, can I just cut the damn wires and cap them? And pursuant to that, are they just regular wires, or Coax, or what? I don't ever plan on using XM radio because I don't care, but if I want to sell the car in the future I'd like to be able to undo any mods. Which is why I wanted to find the connector...

Thanks if anyone can shed some light on this. Driving me a little crazy.

EDIT: I have done a lot of Googling and haven't been able to get solid answers which is why I'm hoping someone here can help me!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Well, the stubby looks like your AM/FM to me, and I'd just unscrew that if I were in your shoes if you don't want to listen to the radio. I'm guessing the base of it is a little wider because they put the Sat antenna in there. I wouldn't mess with that just because I don't think it will save much and could cause problems.

Car sat nav maps are usually stored on a DVD, hard drive, SD card, or other internal storage. I'm not aware of any that download the maps from an internet connection of some sort.

EDIT: I just realized you are probably asking if it receives the GPS signal there, and my guess would be yes, so that's another reason I wouldn't mess with it.

EDIT2: Looks like the GPS antenna is located on the drivers side dash.

That got me into trouble once because I had navigated to a hiking trail using my phone, which had internet access to download the route as I embarked, but had no internet when leaving the trailhead. I switched on my car sat nav which hadn't been updated in years, and it led me 50 miles ending on a cliff. Had to backtrack on fumes.

I came whipping around that corner at about 60 and this is where I stopped.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-23-2020 at 11:41 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
OK, thread closed. Thank you very much, that answered my question. Sucks, because I would like to ditch that big ugly box. That diagram was exactly what I was looking for, I saw the two connectors on the back right C pillar but wasn't positive that's what it was for, and didn't want to risk unhooking something like an airbag inflater or something.

I guess plan B will be to reinstall the ugly antenna and come up with a blister fairing to better enclose it and "aerodynamicize" it.

I didn't think to look up a wiring diagram but that was hugely helpful, thank you so much. The biggest irritation I had is that I couldn't figure out what the hell Nissan was up to with the mess of wires in there.

As for your story, that'd make the ol' sphincter pucker up, coming around a corner like that. Hell of a picture and story you got out of it. I've got a few stories from my adventuring days in a pickup, like almost getting floated off down the Little Malheur river because the water was higher than I thought--or going around a corner at 55 and having the road turn into gravel, next to a river with a similar height differential in your picture.

Again, at 55. In a Ford Ranger. With no rear sway bar.

Yeeeeeaaaah.

Anyway, cheers man.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flakbadger For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-24-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread