Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Cyclists are "supposed" to follow the same rules as cars. But they wont, and its one of those things that nobody will touch with a 10 foot pole.
You've never been to Gainsville, FL before Police give out tickets, frequently... What sucks is for speeding tickets on bikes without instrumentation :/ To be fair, the only people I know that want to go there go to the University

I've personally been pulled over in Orlando, for speeding. Just a warning (I can't go that much faster than 25 )

It is a situation that is touched, a wee bit

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Cyclists are "supposed" to follow the same rules as cars. But they wont, and its one of those things that nobody will touch with a 10 foot pole. Its always going to be the drivers fault. Around here theyll cut across 2 lanes of highway traffic without even looking. Same with jaywalkers, theyll just walk in front of drivers without even looking, its just supposed to be a way of life here. The kids are pretty good but the adults are 10 times worse.
You are very right. But nobody seems to much anymore. I know when I rode alot, I could get across an intersection as fast as some cars (think Yugo...), and I took full advantage of bike lanes where available. At least in Hawaii they were pretty well cleaned. While I made sure I occupied a lane, if I felt I was obstructing traffic, I'd yield. Or if a driver got a little upset, I'd yield. I used to be able to do a decent track stand waiting for a green light and some folks thought it pretty entertaining...
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
People do dumb things like this in cars, too - so it isn't really just a bike thing. Maybe she just made a mistake.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Awesomeness personified

Harold - '94 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 54.51 mpg (US)

Margot - '08 Surly Big Dummy
Send a message via AIM to AndrewJ
exact same thing happened here at the busiest intersection on campus a few years ago.

Girl riding a bike on the sidewalk crossed against a light at a crosswalk and got nailed by a Mazda Miata. She then got thrown into the path of a F-350 and dragged underneath it for 20-30 feet.

She had to have her leg amputated.

Worst part is that she sued the drivers and won a judgement of $400,000.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
People do dumb things like this in cars, too - so it isn't really just a bike thing. Maybe she just made a mistake.
Yeah, but if they suddenly speed through a red light and turn into traffic before driving up on a sidewalk full of pedestrians I'd complain too,
Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinder View Post
A bike safety class should be mandatory, as well as registration of bicycles to force people to take it. Unfortunately it's the only way. Also in most places Ben, all the things you listed are required by law. I do a lot of cycling while sharing the road with cars, and the only way it's going to get safer for cyclists is if all cyclists drive in a uniform manner so drivers can know what to expect from us. People driving bikes without knowledge/adherence to the law are endangering the lives of other cyclists.
I like this plan, if only because then when people ask why I don't ride my race bike I can say "it's not exactly street legal"

I remember being in bike safety classes in grade school. Although I suppose those would do as well as "spelling" and "math" courses do nowadays.