Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
NVSmith

Thumbs up NVSmith; new to ecomodder dot com.

Hi, all. Well, I currently live in the southern US so maybe that shold be "Hi, y'all!"
-I'm recently retired military; many times a maintenence NCO then officer and monitor of our unit's fuel. With some vehicles getting 3 gallons per mile & guys/gals who ran the engines in winter just to keep the heater going, this could be fun. Well, interesting if not fun.
-I'm cheap and I admit it. I've always driven economy cars and I've always tried to tune them to get better than average mileage. EPA ratings? Phooey on them.
-I'm also old enough to remember the annual auto economy runs done by some major gas company & then read Popular Science or some other magazine to read how the drivers did it and how unworkable most of the driving tips were.
-Electric cars? Yes; my father and I cobbled one together easily. But the batteries are/were the problem.
-Bio-Diesel? HECK YES!! But let's start by converting all of the restaurant grease. I've lived in Reno, Las Vegas and Washington, DC, & can't imagine how many gallons per day of potential fuel restaurant owners are PAYING people to haul off and dispose of.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. What are you driving now?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
NVSmith

Current Car

Thanks, Daox.
-Multiple answers to your question:
-Our economy car is a Toyota Tercel; we get in the mid-30s with it on average & surprisingly good mpg on freeway trips. On the down side, it looks like crap. Whilst my better half is on the Left Coast next month I plan on fixing some of that.
-I had two Datsun four banger, pre-electonic, diesel pickups; they both gave good service until the bodies fell apart.
-I, unfortunately, have a thing for Jeeps, but this is my last one: an '88 Comanche pickup that wants to bounce between the mid teens and low 20s. I'm in the process of looking for a replacement now. I'd get a Jetta TDI but we want to travel, so will have to search out an economical tow vehicle for a lightweight trailer (Casita?), if such a thing exists.
-Any suggestions on either a trailer or tow vehicle?

Reply  Post New Thread