Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

subey - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

rav4 - '07 Toyota Rav4
OBD bluetooth scanner

I've decided to go with a bluetooth (or possibly wireless) OBD scanner & an android app instead of SG or UG. Does anybody have any experience, either good or bad, with one of these? There are a bunch of them out there, prices all over the place.

Here's 1 review I found:
ELM 327 OBD-II Bluetooth Scanner/Transmitter Review. That one can be bought for about $12

Here are some of the other options:
PLX Kiwi Bluetooth | OBD2 OBDII Android $53
ObdPros $85
ScanTool.net LLC - Scan Tools, PC, iPhone, & Android based OBD-II (OBD2) Interfaces, OBD diagnostic software $70
Cheap ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle $23.40
OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme $9.30

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...iew-17426.html

I bought a cheap one on Amazon, I believe it was $13 at the time. The way I see it, I could buy several cheap ones for the price of a "good" one, so its ok if one doesn't work or stops working.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 12-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
My cheap "made in china" one randomly sends faulty data, but its so uncommon that I'd buy another cheap one if I had to.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
hypermiller somewhat.....

Sierra - '13 GMC 1500 SLE
90 day: 12.24 mpg (US)

Cruze Eco - '15 chevrolet Cruze Eco
Team Chevy
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)
After lots of research and patience I invested in the OBDlink MX and its predecessor the OBDlink bt (only for the 120 dollar software which they tossed in for 20 dollars) for a grand total of 265. I am a technology and data collection junkie. I have logged several trips with my GPS and have a clear idea of all of the hills that travel. Shortly.. as soon as my OBDlink shows up I will be trying to log all that I can from my engine and collate that with gps information.

I intend to conduct experiments to validate driving techniques and modifications.

Just so that everybody understands my route for my commute is 100 KM each way with65% 2 lane highway, 25% 4 lane divided, and 10% urban. The terrain includes about 4500(give or take) feet of hill vertical with a net elevation of 0 over atleast a dozen hills.

I am limited in my speed range here, only to keep the road rage to a minimum. 95 or less kms when I have nobody me or alternate lanes with maximum speed of 110 posted.

I will likely be looking for a location here to illustrate my route and my results for analysis and feedback. I will be collecting data everyday twice a day when I travel to work and back. I believe that I still have 13 years more of fulltime work left....

So far the plan is;

-3 raw runs with cruise control with zero technique and zero mods for baseline and temperature impacts if any.

Mods
- blockheater
- grill block
- air dam
- over inflated tires(in stages) I am currently running winters as of last tank
- roof rack removal
- alternator loads from minimum to full capacity of alternator(however a delete run is unlikely)
- AC loads
- any other reasonable ideas from the team at Ecomodder.com

techniques
- cruise only
- constant load within the limits of speed
- coasting in gear engine on, maybe decel mode if detected
- coasting in neutral engine on
- dynamic driving, which I am currently using to taking advantage of opportunities to minimize engine effort around terrain and traffic
- any other reasonable ideas from the team at Ecomodder.com

I burn through 600 dollars of fuel a month and I will soon have the technology to collect data on what seems to be a very long A-B-A test site in Ecomodder

I would like to know where it will be best to store or display this information, maybe a blog

damm... my posts are long...

Brian
Old 01-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Doer!

Cheapo Chinese Bluetooth dongle and Torque on android has worked flawlessly for me. It's almost too much information. I plan to use my old phone as a display and run it all the time. I guess a medium sized tablet would give me more real estate and make it easier to read the display...
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
hypermiller somewhat.....

Sierra - '13 GMC 1500 SLE
90 day: 12.24 mpg (US)

Cruze Eco - '15 chevrolet Cruze Eco
Team Chevy
90 day: 46.52 mpg (US)
OBDlink MX and Samsung S Vibrant with Torque Pro. The only challenge is the occasional software hangup on the phone. I am trying to create a formula to find most fuel efficent cruise speed.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Same here cheapo Chinese Bluetooth dongle and Torque on android has worked flawlessly for me. Now just need to make it easier to see my 10" tablet while driving.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Torque and cheap adapter. Works awesome. Torque is such a great app too. There is so much you can do with it.

I love that I can data log whatever parameters I set and then open and analyze the data with Excel.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I just got my amazon $10 adaptor and downloaded torque pro. I can't believe how awesome this is for under $20. I also see how I can put it on all of my android devices for just the one purchase which I hadn't realized before (because this is the first paid app I have besides where's my water for my 8yo.) So now I can put it on my old droid x and leave it in the car full time but also run it on my online galaxy S3 and use the navigation when on a long trip. From just playing with it for 20 minutes in the driveway I am blown away.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I just got my amazon $10 adaptor and downloaded torque pro. I can't believe how awesome this is for under $20. I also see how I can put it on all of my android devices for just the one purchase which I hadn't realized before (because this is the first paid app I have besides where's my water for my 8yo.) So now I can put it on my old droid x and leave it in the car full time but also run it on my online galaxy S3 and use the navigation when on a long trip. From just playing with it for 20 minutes in the driveway I am blown away.
Glad it's working for you!

Even better you have a dedicated phone to keep in the car...I use my regular phone so I need to put it on the windshield mount everytime I get in the car.

Reply  Post New Thread