EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   OBII Smarter than us? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/obii-smarter-than-us-26895.html)

racprops 09-09-2013 12:54 PM

OBII Smarter than us?

OK I have tried a lot of things on a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquises. (HHO, water injection with and without Menthol, resetting Air/Fuel ratios, many interrupts to the sensors, gas additives, throttle body mod, )

This is an OBII car. And nothing seems to be able to get better than 34MPG.

So the question is: Are these programed to keep ANY improvement from working, IE is the computer stopping me.

Has anyone had any real progress with any of these cars? (And I don’t mean hypermileing…)

I want to be able to make better MPG in all OBDII Cars.

Rich

JRMichler 09-09-2013 01:22 PM

Well, you could try things that are known to work. Grille block, air dam, wheel covers, belly pan, tire pressure, LRR tires, the list goes on.

Frank Lee 09-09-2013 01:23 PM

I need to get me some of that menthol-flavored water. Mmmmmm

gone-ot 09-09-2013 01:48 PM

Blame it on EPA / CARB emission regulations, because of these 3 facts:

• best POWER occurs at about 12:1 AF-ratio, for E0 gasoline.

• best ECONOMY occurs at 16-18:1 AF-ratio, for E0 gasoline.

• todays ECM's maintain 'stoichiometric' 14.7:1 AF-ratio in "closed-loop" operation for catalytic convertor operation.

racprops 09-09-2013 01:57 PM

I have devices that allow me to reset the Air/Fuel ratios, and found that on the car 16.7 to 1 gave apox 34MPG with a major lost of take off power.

So IF I had a way to change that setting automatically for cursing (a lean cruse setting) then I could gain something like 5MPG, but at a cost of around $200.00 to $300.00 to have the computer reprogrammed don't consider it cost effective.

As for the other ideas, A) the car has a air dam, aerodynamic side mirrors, hidden wipers (Under the hood) B) The rest are impractical, I ran stock tires and got 27 to 30MPG and then switched to safer 18 inch sticky tires so I can hold the road and stop best and lost 1 to 2 MPG, I will take my safety over MPG any day.

I am in AZ with 115+ temps and have a hard time keeping the engine under 200+ in the summer...

Rich

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 389537)
Blame it on EPA / CARB emission regulations, because of these 3 facts:

• best POWER occurs at about 12:1 AF-ratio, for E0 gasoline.

• best ECONOMY occurs at 16-18:1 AF-ratio, for E0 gasoline.

• todays ECM's maintain 'stoichiometric' 14.7:1 AF-ratio in "closed-loop" operation for catalytic convertor operation.

RedDevil 09-09-2013 02:26 PM

On fuelly the Grand Marquis typically gets about 20 mpg on average.
34 mpg would be hard to beat. If you're not satisfied then maybe this isn't the right car. But a small car or a hybrid could almost double it if driven with some TLC.

The things you list in your first post have been proven to have little effect, if any. Just check them out with the search button.
As you get 34 mpg you'd know a thing or two about driving economically, but at the risk of elaborating the obvious:
- Get a OBD2 FE monitor like ScanGauge or UltraGauge,
- Keep a fuel log, and log anything in it that deviates from the usual,
- Digest the 100+ Hypermiling Tips and 68+ Efficiency Mods linked on top of this page,
- Pump them tires...

racprops 09-09-2013 02:45 PM

First, I have BOTH MPG Gauges as I found the scangaugeII is easily fooled by tricks done to the sensors (I had it reading 45MPG when in fact the car was only doing 27MPG. So I run a MPGunio as well.

Second 24/26 is more common for these cars as I also belong to a Ford site and we have discussed this fact.

Third I thought I was asking this question on a site that deals with making MPG, making changes that make MPG.

Forth a funny thing happens if I pop it out of gear, the RPMs go higher...

( MY 93 Chevy and 91 Toyota don't pull this, both drop to idle as I coast...)

So I was hoping to find out IF it is the ECU.

OH FYI I HAVE seen a Toyota and Hyundai get over 60MPG on HHO.

And we did the full test, 100 miles: 50 Miles one way and then back same day full tank.

Rich

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 389549)
On fuelly the Grand Marquis typically gets about 20 mpg on average.
34 mpg would be hard to beat. If you're not satisfied then maybe this isn't the right car. But a small car or a hybrid could almost double it if driven with some TLC.

The things you list in your first post have been proven to have little effect, if any. Just check them out with the search button.
As you get 34 mpg you'd know a thing or two about driving economically, but at the risk of elaborating the obvious:
- Get a OBD2 FE monitor like ScanGauge or UltraGauge,
- Keep a fuel log, and log anything in it that deviates from the usual,
- Digest the 100+ Hypermiling Tips and 68+ Efficiency Mods linked on top of this page,
- Pump them tires...

Frank Lee 09-09-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

OH FYI I HAVE seen a Toyota and Hyundai get over 60MPG on HHO.
This is really all you need to know.

racprops 09-09-2013 02:54 PM

Really??

WHY?

Rich

I was hoping to get real info here...

I already know if I draft a Simi I can get great MPG as long as I don't run into him and the driver doesn't get mad at my tailgating him, (most do) or drive down hill all the time...

RedDevil 09-09-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racprops (Post 389554)
I was hoping to get real info here...

Ooh..! So what I wrote wasn't real? Sorry for that then.

Fuelly is wrong? You say so.

The 100 Hypermiling Tips and 65 mods are no good, you want the REAL stuff? Sorry, that is just for members that know the Secret.
No, just kidding, if we knew anything better it would be on those lists.

You want info but we just have to work with what you provide. You did not tell you had those OBD2 gauges until I mentioned them. And I did apologise in advance, still you, well...

But do not worry, I will not bother you again.
(unsubscribed)