Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

JadeAccent - '01 Hyundai Accent GL
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)

Sonata - '11 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid base
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Well, I'm taking delivery of one tomorrow, and the window sticker on it says 36/40. We commute 30 miles one-way all highway, so I'm thrilled about the highway mileage. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I like this car a lot and it should be a huge improvement for us.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
toc
EcoModding Apprentice

Sonata97 - '97 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 25.96 mpg (US)

Pulsar - '03 Nissan Pulsar ST
Team Nissan
90 day: 36.09 mpg (US)

Lancer - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 31.11 mpg (US)

Lancer 2.0 - '09 Mitsubishi Lancer
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
Looking at your fuel log, 35MPG is what you achieved?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

JadeAccent - '01 Hyundai Accent GL
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)

Sonata - '11 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid base
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
LOL, 35 is what my wife and I achieved. I had 45 though non-rush-hour highway driving. Still learning the car, though. So far I love it, but I'm rather surprised at how quickly the batter charges and discharges. I have no point if reference; I just assumed that hybrids' batteries had more capacity. I should clarify that the sticker was 35/40, btw, not 36/40.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rocinante - '19 GMC Canyon
I just bought a Sonata Hybrid this weekend, Red one with the premium package. Hadn't intended to get the premium, but She Who Must Not Be Angered wanted a red one. The only red close to us one was 2 hours away, and it had the premium package. I was leery of the price ($34k after taxes, tag, other crap), but we live really simply so wife (and money person) told me we could afford it. So there it is. We got 40.8mpg on the trip home form the dealer, in hilly terrain the whole way averaging 60mph not counting a brief run at 70mph for testing purposes. The transmission is good although the computer was a little confused in the hills. Nothing that affected the ride apart from the occasional shift when I would've let it ride. But then, this is my first hybrid and I'm not fully used to it yet. I will be logging mileage of course and working to get my mileage better The A/C is wonderful, no complaints about the steering or braking. The turning radius is ungodly small. It almost pivots on its rear wheels. The backup assist camera is very good, the resolution is good enough to count the trees on the other side of the field across from the house. The little 'parking assist' lines on the monitor are also useful and make backing up in small parking spots easier. The dual-pane sunroof that came with the premium package is not really something I use (as I leave the shades shut to minimize A/C use), but I get no noise from it while I'm driving. The nav system and bluetooth connection for the phone are functional and good use of technology. I admit I've not fully explored all the nav system functions, but it lays out reasonably good courses. I find the voice to be as intrusive as my Garmin StreetPilot III, so I tend to turn it off. The leather seats (2 heat settings) are more comfortable than the Avalon's were when it was new. Driver side gets power seat, passenger must use their muscles more, ah, well. Each door has a cup holder. The back seats get their own vents from the back of the center console; I thought it was a nice touch, but then my old car was 12 years old and didn't have a lot of fanciness. The center console has a shallow area under the arm rest, and then a MUCH deeper one under that. Not sure why they did it, but it's workable. I keep the registration and insurance in the shallow part. The lower bin is big enough to hold two 6V12AH Powersonic batteries side by side. Bought two while we were in the big city The center console also has 2 12V outlets, a USB port, and the aux audio input for the radio. The radio has a CD player, HD FM & AM, and XM which comes with a 3 month trial. Thus far I've enjoyed it as it's hard to get classical music in rural Georgia I looked under the hood, and it was exquisite, but I saw nothing that I'm feeling the urge to take apart or modify Sorry to be so wordy, but I didn't see any other first impression posts. Note to potential buyers, the red color is even better looking in person than in the pics online. The black color was oddly not what i'd hoped it would be. The silver is quite nice, though, definately worth considering.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Congrats and welcome! Expect MPG to fluctuate some as the computer learns your driving styles, and as you learn the driving style best for the car. As it breaks in (about 5k miles in Hyundais it would seem), you may even find the FE going up.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rocinante - '19 GMC Canyon
I'm hoping that actual commuting mpg will be better, as the commute is 40 miles of flat with the cruise control set at 55mph. From what I've read, it'll run in EV mode a bunch. Time will tell.