Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Talking Which one's better?? opinions wanted!!

It's looking cost prohibitive to plan on keeping my Mountaineer as long term transportation and a backroads flyer... Enter the cheap VW to take over . Which do you guys seeing the more capable FE vehicle and why? I don't see Myself doing a Kammback, so lets rule that out from the get go. Eventual plan would be to swap in a subie EJ22 for creature comforts and the power to push those bigger tires where I tend to take them. Also, i did a search and have read quite a few threads on the two different vehicles... Just want to hear some opinions and thoughts on these sweet little lifted jobs

Class 11 style (full fender baja) bug:

Photo from "Sxuxrxf" over on the Samba

Class 11 style (full fender baja) squareback:

photo from "Root Werks" also on the Samba

Thanks
~C

PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ol' Reliable - '02 Saturn SL2
I'm going with the squareback not because I think it'll be a great eco-ride but because it's COOLER THAN ALL GET-OUT!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'd go with the squareback myself, because there's more cargo (and in my case, dog - Mitt Romney I'm not :-)) space inside, instead of on the roof rack, so likely better aero while getting to those back roads.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I heart Squarebacks; wish I still had one. If aero is your "Thing" you could get the Type III Fastback.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
I got ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHAOS View Post
I'm going with the squareback not because I think it'll be a great eco-ride but because it's COOLER THAN ALL GET-OUT!
haha That's the exact same reaction I had the first time I saw that car. I've also seen some pretty hefty claims of 30-40mpg hwy with these, don't know how legit that is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I'd go with the squareback myself, because there's more cargo (and in my case, dog - Mitt Romney I'm not :-)) space inside, instead of on the roof rack, so likely better aero while getting to those back roads.
Very true, remove the need for the roofrack and you get instant aero improvement... I've often wondered about putting one of the LED light bars on the inside of the windshield like the new low profile cop cars do with their lights, then you really don't have a reason to mount anything to the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I heart Squarebacks; wish I still had one. If aero is your "Thing" you could get the Type III Fastback.
I love those fastbacks... But finding one is the issue for me. I think a bug or squareback would be much easier to procure.

~C
Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
I know my roof rack is like a boat anchor going above 40 mph. Always wanted a type 3 too. I'd get 28 mpg in my '65 beetle at highway. Thirty five should be possible with some effort. They run 11:1 afr factory generally with carbs but if you can get them around 13:1 they still run cool enough if you don't let the heads get too hot. They had a rack that went on bugs that leaned back way over the engine lid that mounted on the rain gutters. I thought about skinning one to conform to the template at the roofline like a thule trunk exept low to the around the back window.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 11-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
God, that is a fantastic square. I think it's a toss up- the bug has a better roofline, but the squareback has flat body sides. Just get whatever's the best deal, in the best condition, and have fun with it.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
How are you guys gonna talk about VW aero and not mention the Karman Ghia?
If you're gonna jack up a veewee and put mud tires on it, you can at least start with something a little aero-ish, lol!

Chillsworld, here's one for cheap in Georgia:

1971 karmann ghia classic.!! Rebuilt motor fancy exhaust. Wheels

Old 11-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
I got ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer65 View Post
I know my roof rack is like a boat anchor going above 40 mph. Always wanted a type 3 too. I'd get 28 mpg in my '65 beetle at highway. Thirty five should be possible with some effort. They run 11:1 afr factory generally with carbs but if you can get them around 13:1 they still run cool enough if you don't let the heads get too hot. They had a rack that went on bugs that leaned back way over the engine lid that mounted on the rain gutters. I thought about skinning one to conform to the template at the roofline like a thule trunk exept low to the around the back window.

Yeah I had the spare on the roof and I got almost 2mpg (hwy) better when I finally took it off and mounted it inside my SUV... So I totally understand the anchor

I had that exact same thought about the rack, but perhaps doing it to hold a full size spare as well... I've seen some neat configurations/uses for those racks while searching the interwebz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
God, that is a fantastic square. I think it's a toss up- the bug has a better roofline, but the squareback has flat body sides. Just get whatever's the best deal, in the best condition, and have fun with it.
Yeah it's been an inspiration for my imagination ever since I saw it years ago on The Samba. At this point, nothing I get is going to be in "good" condition in order to fit my DIY shady tree mechanic shoe string budget haha. But don't you worry, I'll definitely have fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
How are you guys gonna talk about VW aero and not mention the Karman Ghia?
If you're gonna jack up a veewee and put mud tires on it, you can at least start with something a little aero-ish, lol!

Chillsworld, here's one for cheap in Georgia:

1971 karmann ghia classic.!! Rebuilt motor fancy exhaust. Wheels
I love Ghia's... But, being 6'4" the Ghia is less than optimal for me Plus I'm not sure if I can really go through with cutting and lifting my childhood sweetheart

And the word "cheap" is a highly subjective term

~C
Old 11-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Humm... Now you've got me wondering about doing something similar with an 80-84 Subaru 4WD wagon. Could maybe bolt in a newer (e.g. fuel injected &c) engine...

Reply  Post New Thread