Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.89 mpg (US)
This thread = comedy gold

Seriously though, if you can actually run a car on this stuff, why not? Where would it go otherwise?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Soylent Fuel?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
Soylent Green Fuel no less
Old 12-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hyundai Accent - '01 Hyundai Accent
90 day: 38.4 mpg (US)

Gixer - '97 Suzuki GSXR600
90 day: 43.12 mpg (US)
Yeah, wired.com reported on this a few days ago. They concluded that it is probably not true, citing the lack of diesel versions of those vehicles. As well as the doctor apparently acting like a publicity *****.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/12/fat-powered-for.html

Last edited by jesse.rizzo; 12-28-2008 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Added url
Old 12-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jesse.rizzo -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse.rizzo View Post
Yeah, wired.com reported on this a few days ago. They concluded that it is probably not true, citing the lack of diesel versions of those vehicles. As well as the doctor apparently acting like a publicity *****.

Fat-Fueled Ford Is Biodiesel Biohazard | Autopia from Wired.com
Ok, robbiewt already posted this :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...aybe-6531.html
Quote:
[FROM WIRED ARTICLE]Now, the mainstream media have done a pretty good job separating fact from fiction lately, and there is precedent for using human fat to power vehicles, but three clues leave us leery of Bittner's claims.

Clue No. 1: Forbes says human fat fueled Bittner's Ford SUV (like the Excursion in the photo illustration above) and his girlfriend's Lincoln Navigator. Unless she had the engine swapped, we're calling that B.S. because there's no diesel Navigator yet. No diesel, no lipodiesel — just a Lincoln with high cholesterol.

Clue No. 2: Bittner acts like a publicity *****. After his chain of medical-imaging clinics was shuttered due to false advertising, Bittner opened up a clinic on Rodeo Drive and called it Beverly Hills Liposculpture. Real subtle. A couple of blog posts and news headlines about Dr. Bittner's amazing "thigh-test" biofuel would thrill the sort of doctor who plasters his own mugshot all over his clinic's website.

Clue No. 3: We don't trust any story that's based on a movie. In the '90s, Dr. Bittner could've been working at the Paper Street Soap Company. In the '70s, Charlton Heston would've burst into Dr. Bittner's office screaming, "Alternative fuel is people!"
Question: Isn't there a "limit" to how much fat cells a human body has? I thought that the body didn't replace the fat cells that were removed with lipo. Soooo, you couldn't "harvest" the fat more than once.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 12-28-2008 at 10:20 PM..
Old 12-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Sweet. I've thought about this about a million times, but never made a call.
Come to think of it I had a plastic surgeon as a customer some time ago. . .
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 12-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Ever see "Fight Club?" Making biodiesel is not much different from making soap.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 12-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Hello -

He just closed his practice :

dralanbittner.com
Quote:
Closure of Beverly Hills Liposculpture

Dear Patients:

It has been a sincere pleasure to take care of you and I want to share the news with you that Beverly Hills Liposculpture will be closing. My staff will continue to see patients until December 23, 2008. I am writing this letter to ensure that you are able to take steps to receive good medical care from other physicians in the future. Please note that my practice is not being taken over by another physician. You will need to find a new office and a new doctor. I recommend The Los Angeles County Medical Association for a list of physicians.

It seems he's under investigation, so he left the country :

Probe into cosmetic surgeon who 'powered his 4x4 with his patients' excess flab' | Mail Online
Quote:
If you're keen to establish your green credentials you can install solar panels or stick a wind turbine on your roof.

Or you could become a patient of Dr Alan Bittner.

The leading Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon claims to be saving the planet by using fat removed from clients in liposuction operations to power his 4x4 car.
Dr Alan Bittner

Dr Alan Bittner says he turned fat sucked out of patients in liposuction operations into biodiesel - or 'lipodiesel' - for his 4x4 vehicle

According to Dr Bittner, his patients are more than happy to be involved in the extraordinary eco-friendly scheme.

'The vast majority of my patients request that I use their fat for fuel - and I have more fat than I can use,' he declared.

'Not only do they get to lose their love handles or chubby belly, but they get to take part in saving the Earth.' U.S. authorities are less impressed and have launched an inquiry into his claims that he is converting the waste fat into bio-diesel - or 'lipodiesel' as he calls it.

Dr Bittner posted his claims on a website lipodiesel.com, which has since been taken down following the sudden closure of his clinic on Rodeo Drive.

He is believed to have moved to South America after several patients filed a lawsuit against his practice for allegedly allowing his unlicensed girlfriend to carry out operations. U.S. business magazine Forbes reported that Dr Bittner used the 'lipofuel' to power both his Ford Explorer and his girlfriend's Lincoln Navigator.

Bio-diesel is commonly made from vegetable oils, although half of the U.S. supply comes from beef or pig products.

Animal and vegetable fat contains triglycerides that can be extracted and turned into diesel.

Lawyer Andrew Besser, who represents three patients, claims the assistant and girlfriend removed too much fat from clients and left them disfigured. Dozens of other patients have complained to the state medical board, according to Mr Besser. On his official clinic website Dr Bittner claims he offers patients a more advanced form of liposuction called liposculpture.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have made jokes about a mean classmate of mine in high school (Jean Ma) storing over 1000 Prius batteries worth of energy in the form of fat. And now, it is possible to use that energy to power a car! (If only the Prius was available as a diesel-electric...)

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So what the world REALLY needs is a fuel cell that runs on fat. Tie up Jean, stuff him in the trunk, stick in a couple of electrodes, and you're good for the next couple thousand miles :-)

Reply  Post New Thread