Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #61 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Yes I should have specified why I titled it so.

I'd been reading a couple of online stories about this case and some of the reader comments to it; the linked story had many Canadian commenters and the majority of them at the time were doing the same thing Duhmerican commenters love to do and that is pass judgement- oftentimes wildly inaccurate because it is obvious they didn't comprehend many of the facts of the case either due to not reading the article they were mouthing off about, or stupidity, or willful ignorance.

Then I thought, Ah-ha, I'll go see what the Brit's Daily Mail says about it, because I have the general impression that the Mail is a somewhat more objective provider of news than most Duhmerican op/ed dispensers (our media). But I was disappointed to find much the same ignorant reader commentary there too.

But no, in the U.S. most people would like to stone her to death, than hang her from a tree, then shoot her, then put her in a Guillotine. All after life in prison.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
By this article, Canada has stupid people and they make an example. In the US, the stupid people just do what they want without recourse.
*Cough* Florida *Cough*
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
I've stopped for animals, but I pull out of the way (WAY OFF THE ROAD) and always make sure that if I'm going to brake, there isn't anybody behind me. The lady was stupid. You ALWAYS have to be aware of everybody else on the road. I take personal responsibility to ensure that nobody collides with my car. Maybe that comes from my days riding motorcycle...?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whatmaycome14 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-13-2014), user removed (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 AM   #64 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Why does the luck of the outcome have anything to do with the severity of the punishment? Many people have caused dangerous situations that could have resulted in death, but the particular circumstances did not happen, so they were not charged with severe crimes.
You know why the sentence for attempted murder is less than the sentence for murder? It's because you're not that dangerous.

If you're careful, you can stop on the road (or juggle chainsaws, smoke, shoot an apple off of your kid's head...). If you're careful, nothing will happen and passing traffic will go around you: you probably won't get caught. If one of those passing cars is a cop, he'll see your lack of flashing lights, orange cones or flares as evidence of your not being careful. Depending on how close to being careful you are, he may tell you to moce along or he may cite you- so you got caught, but let off lightly because you apparently aren't that dangerous. If you cause an accident, the cops will show up. They'll see clearly how careless and dangerous you are and won't just tell you to be on your way.

The punishment for stopping on the road is pretty low because generally people can be counted on to be somwhat careful and generally nothing bad happens. When something bad happens, other laws kick in. Because killing people isn't about "but all I did was stop my car, what's wrong with that?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #65 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
I just wash my windshield when followed close, it's cheap, harmless, and may alert them to how close they are.
Sometimes it works. I use a lot of washer fluid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is that what causes a fog like over the roof of a vehicle? Ive seen that when some other people get tailgated when doing so to me fails or they just pass me cause Im driving a hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dave View Post
Sometimes it works. I use a lot of washer fluid.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

You may want to stop for these ducks.

>
Old 07-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #68 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
If you're careful, you can stop on the road (or juggle chainsaws, smoke, shoot an apple off of your kid's head...

The punishment for stopping on the road is pretty low because generally people can be counted on to be somwhat careful and generally nothing bad happens. When something bad happens, other laws kick in. Because killing people isn't about "but all I did was stop my car, what's wrong with that?"
The second part of what you said exposes the error in logic of the first.

An action poses a certain level of risk and challenge to others. The risk introduced by that action is independent of the risks others introduce to the situation. Whether or not someone dies due to the risk that was introduced is irrelevant.

If almost everybody can avoid a stopped vehicle, then the person that does not avoid has added their own risk to the situation, and is responsible for that portion of additional risk.

What if I dressed up in a clown outfit and went for a walk. While on the walk, someone sees me, is startled by the unusual circumstance, and jumps off a cliff to their death? Have I committed manslaughter due to the outcome?

The woman stopped for ducks clearly made a poor choice and should receive a punishment. I assure you that the fact that knowing her actions contributed to the death of 2 people is the most severe punishment one could receive. She should also receive a citation for whatever is the maximum amount allowed for such an infraction.

If her car had run out of gas and stopped in the same spot, with the same outcome, she would have not been given such harsh treatment, even though both situations are within her control.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 07-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

But OTOH, cars may stop for reasons completely outside the driver's control. I once found myself stopping in the middle of a street (about a block from the freeway entrance I was planning to take) because a wheel fell off.

(Yeah, I should have checked that the tire place had actually put the lug nuts back on the vehicle before returning it to me, but I was much more trusting in my younger days :-))
Old 07-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #70 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
People aren't all that. I'd just as soon stop for ducks.

Reply  Post New Thread