Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Saw a Dodge Aspen once with a pier piling that went through the grille, knocked the carb off the manifold (slant six), knocked the radio out of the dash and stopped a few inches in front of the rear window. In the same body shop lot there (a few years earlier) was a stolen Road Runner that hit another car head on at a combined speed easily over 120 MPH. There were 4 people in the Road Runner when it hit the other car.

The whole floor of the car was covered in shredded human body parts. I saw a section of a jawbone before I had to leave to keep from puking.

I have looked at tens of thousands of wrecked cars and that was one of the worst. The smell permeated that parking lot for 40 feet in any direction when it was calm.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I just wash my windshield when followed close, it's cheap, harmless, and may alert them to how close they are.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roosterk0031 For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (06-24-2014), Mustang Dave (06-28-2014), redpoint5 (06-25-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #53 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I wonder if you could present camera evidence of a tailgater being a douche to the local police and have the guy sent a $250 fine. Cause if you can I am going to start recording the Fools and turn them in hopes of teaching them to drive properly.

I have all the devices required to record in good detail.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cool

My local PD allows you to report people for driving infractions. They just send a warning to the person.

Now on the military bases I know the cops and love to call in regular cars in handicap parking spots. Nothing like having a federal summons on your windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
I wonder if you could present camera evidence of a tailgater being a douche to the local police and have the guy sent a $250 fine. Cause if you can I am going to start recording the Fools and turn them in hopes of teaching them to drive properly.

I have all the devices required to record in good detail.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #55 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Can aftermarket back-up cameras zoom? I have known people who said they received speeding tickets after unmarked SUVs tailgated them, so they sped up, repeatedly, until pretty lights came out of nowhere. I just wonder what it would take to be able to see those before they turn on.

"911, what is your emergency?"
"An unmarked Police car is following me so closely I can see the lights under his grill. Please tell him to back off and stop risking my life!"

I treat all tailgater the same, regardless of whether they are marked police cars or an idiot in a huge truck, I just shift to neutral and wait them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
user removed (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I've had them tailgate me coasting down to 25 in a 45 zone, on a deserted 4 lane highway with no place they would need to turn (rr tracks parallel on the right).

regards
Mech
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #57 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Are the Courts WRONG TO ??? ridiculous

I will leave you with your Duck love , I personally hate them..and would not eat one again..

Life in Jail ? I doubt it ..
I'm indifferent towards ducks.

2 people lost their lives, and now the Duck Lady is loosing a good portion of hers.

While both the motorcyclist and Duck Lover are guilty of being a hazard, the Duck Lover's sentence was too severe.

She had no malicious intent, and I'm sure would not have stopped if she believed it would likely kill someone. Further, if nobody had hit her, she would only have received a citation instead of a prison sentence. Why does the luck of the outcome have anything to do with the severity of the punishment? Many people have caused dangerous situations that could have resulted in death, but the particular circumstances did not happen, so they were not charged with severe crimes.

It is not reasonable to charge the woman with any additional punishment over someone would receive for doing the exact same thing with no idiots rear-ending them.

The tragedy is that the deaths of the motorcyclists could have been avoided by better decisions by the Duck Lover, and the tragedy is furthered by courts that could have made better decisions about the punishment of the Duck Lover.

Finally, knowing you are partially responsible for the death of 2 people is a heavy punishment in itself. I'd rather spend 10 years in prison in exchange for bringing 2 people back to life than to live free knowing I was responsible for their deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Can aftermarket back-up cameras zoom? I have known people who said they received speeding tickets after unmarked SUVs tailgated them, so they sped up, repeatedly, until pretty lights came out of nowhere.
I've fallen "victim" to this before. An SUV was rapidly approaching me in the left lane, so I sped up because the closing rate seemed unsafe to me. Then he began tailgating, so I sped up further so I could get ahead of the car to my right, and move over. Once I moved over and slowed down, the cop followed and issued me a ticket. I suppose I could have slowed down to move over to the right, but allowing traffic to pass in the slow lane while some apparent hot-head is bearing down didn't occur to me.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 06-25-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #58 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I hope this story gets lots of air play on National news, so other like minded drivers will think twice before coming to a complete stop in the fast lane to protect ducks.

I have not heard of her sentencing only the charges and verdict in her trial.

Emma Czornobaj was convicted Friday by a jury on two counts of criminal negligence causing death and two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cops? If you pass through Richmond or Henrico, Henrico is good at doing this to me. Arresterfield does this when I drive my SUV with 2.5% vlt window tint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I've had them tailgate me coasting down to 25 in a 45 zone, on a deserted 4 lane highway with no place they would need to turn (rr tracks parallel on the right).

regards
Mech
Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #60 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
What bugs me, is your label, Frank. I would agree if they found her innocent. In the US, everyone would have said "Oh my God, are the ducks okay?! Thank you for saving them!"

By this article, Canada has stupid people and they make an example. In the US, the stupid people just do what they want without recourse.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread