Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Don't try to make people drive hybrid cars.
Who's trying to make anyone drive hybrids? Last I checked, people are buying hybrid cars (and companies are buying hybrid shovels, delivery trucks, mining equipment, &c) because they want to.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Who's trying to make anyone drive hybrids? Last I checked, people are buying hybrid cars (and companies are buying hybrid shovels, delivery trucks, mining equipment, &c) because they want to.
A company typically has a manager of communication who convinces the board that the employees are to drive 'green' company cars. Mine does.
Governments meddle with taxes to boost 'green' sales. Mine does.
Does not mean that is bad, but it would be nice to have some choice.

Until recently there was not much choice.
People and companys buy hybrids because they want to: drive cheap (because of low tax) and look green, not because they are smitten by the Prius' looks.

We need more choice in hybrids. Most of all, we need cool hybrids. Cause they need to replace cool cars that use a lot of fuel.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
shovel (10-16-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
What the automotive industry *NEEDS* are STANDARD size, shape and capacities BATTERY packs...like exists for flashlights and current car batteries!

That would foster faster competition & developement between the battery manufacturers, the same as exists between the A, AA, AAA, C, D batteries now sold!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
A company typically has a manager of communication who convinces the board that the employees are to drive 'green' company cars. Mine does.
Perhaps the company - since these are company cars, not employees personal vehicles - is simply making rational business decisions, based on operating costs, effectiveness, public image, and so on? Whatever, the company is buying what the company wants to buy.

Quote:
Governments meddle with taxes to boost 'green' sales. Mine does.
So? You can still go ahead and buy the more-expensive gas-guzzler if you like. Nobody is actually forcing you to save money :-)

Quote:
People and companys buy hybrids because they want to: drive cheap (because of low tax) and look green, not because they are smitten by the Prius' looks.
So why should any rational person choose to drive a particular car simply because they are smitten by its looks?

Quote:
We need more choice in hybrids. Most of all, we need cool hybrids. Cause they need to replace cool cars that use a lot of fuel.
More choice, certainly. But I think we have widely differing ideas as to exactly what constitutes "cool".
Old 10-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Team Honda
Nobody is really rational. Smart people are just more clever in enveloping their likes and dislikes with a veil of reason.
I like to believe I am fairly rational, but I know my weaknesses. Even so, my definition of cool is a car that uses less fuel than people are willing to believe.

The general public is not like that, not like us. It was their perception of cool I was referring to. They are the ones to win over, not us.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ecomodest

The Van - '97 Chevy Astro AWD cargo van
90 day: 14.03 mpg (US)
Quote:

No offense intended. As an old buddy used to say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you be holding her, she be beautiful.

Either way, hybrid or high FE, cars. The Insight and Prius aren't hard on the eye, but necessarily pleasing, the Volt looks good, what were those Leaf designers on that day.

Quote:
jamesqf;
More choice, certainly. But I think we have widely differing ideas as to exactly what constitutes "cool".
Most definitely, but there lot's of general shapes and lines that naturally appeal to most peoples eye.

The biggest sin I see in modern car design, mostly sub compact, is the designers don't seem to have heard of the golden ratio.

Some people are very particular in what they drive looks like, others not as much and some drive it, and wash it once, twice a year whether it needs it or not.

What ever ones preference, a little pleasing design would probably help sales. If I had use for a eco car, I'd drive a Volt because it's a pleasing design.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen View Post
No offense intended. As an old buddy used to say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you be holding her, she be beautiful.

Either way, hybrid or high FE, cars. The Insight and Prius aren't hard on the eye, but necessarily pleasing, the Volt looks good, what were those Leaf designers on that day.
Thanks, and so true.

Where those Leaf designers were? "On Leaf", apparently
It could have been so easy to make that car better looking than it is.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
One thing that I consider quite odd is that Toyota never offered the Prius HSD setup into the MR2, for example.

Reply  Post New Thread