Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver EP3 - '02 Honda Civic Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth TDI View Post
Tas,

You may or may not know our cars do not inject fuel when coasting in gear (it's almost all returned to the tank). Most TDIClubbers consider coasting in gear to be more efficient than coasting in neutral. I tend to believe it's more sensible than coasting with the engine off since the steering, brakes, and even AC (yes, I cave in 100* heat) will function normally.

Oh, check out this photo taken while coasting several miles down to 1000 feet from 5400 feet:

Looking at IAT and EGT, you might conclude there is no combustion taking place since EGTs are only about 40* above ambient temp. I've never seen my EGT so low unless the car has sat overnight.

Take Care,

Scott
Of course its better, the thing is it doesn't last as long. I do both depending on the situation. sometimes, I can use a long coast, often some other driver causes me to need to low a bit. I could be caught off guard watching the lights. so I try to slow with DFCO. I can see it on scangauge, I get the 9999 mpg.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Has anyone questioned the idea

of "suddenly accelerating" with a manual tranmission without changing gears? I'd say that any such emergency evasive action is going to require a change of gear from either ordinary green or idle-coast driving.

I coast in nuetral. It's just annother gear (although I prefer blipping the throttle when coming out of idle more than in other gears). My is listed as a mid-size (Plymouth Breeze): I'll leave EOC to the Geo Metro's (I'd probably also have a quick hit-this-button restart switch).
Old 09-25-2008, 07:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Beast - '82 Honda V45 Sabre Vetter Fairing
90 day: 39.38 mpg (US)

The Wife's bike - '82 Honda CM450E Red
90 day: 57.22 mpg (US)

Yellow Submarine - '04 Dodge Neon SXT
90 day: 28.71 mpg (US)
I won't EOC on my motorcycle. The power will straighten up a turn and you train to do that. I do POC to bring the speed down (which it does very quickly on a bike.) In the truck, I am not used to the power steering going away, brakes are not a problem. I will EOC into my parking space at home (about half a block) and to the gas pump. However POC is the order of the day for the truck. I am learning to P&G and will POC on the interstate downhills.