Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post
When I said "weird as hell to reject the R" I was referring to myself, rejecting it because I probably couldn't EOC. Along with my almost certainly unique 50 MPG, I'd almost certainly be the only potential customer of the new car being put off the hottest hatchback out there on the basis of the inability to kill the engine whilst in motion.
Woah woah woah... Zany 2016 Ford Focus RS Rated At 345 Horsepower

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (08-09-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
For me, and for most vehicles I believe, a kill switch just stops the engine and the things the engine directly powers, the vehicle continues the functions that occur while in the ON position and running.
From what I red here and there, you want to kill the engine with the ECU still working and that means it is not the same as turning the key (or hitting the OFF switch).

As it is not hat common a car for ecomodding, you are in un-charted territory :/
Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
From what I red here and there, you want to kill the engine with the ECU still working and that means it is not the same as turning the key (or hitting the OFF switch).

As it is not hat common a car for ecomodding, you are in un-charted territory :/
From my (possibly limited) understanding, we are saying the same thing.

Using a kill switch, the car is in the same condition as driving, other than the engine being on. To expand, my Mustang simply in the ON position won't react the same way as it would if I started the engine, and then it died by kill switch.

What reasoning do I have for thinking this? If I turn the key to start, my cruise control is reset to off. On my route, I use CC after getting to speed. (*)I EOC, and come to a stop, bump starting before the complete stop, so my engine is running. I continue on when the light turns, and use CC again by the set button, no activation sequence is needed.

So, say at the (*) point, I EOC, and come to a stop with the engine off. My key never leaves the ON position, but I turn it over to start it. NOW, when I go to use CC, it needs the activation process, it won't just go. This works the same for traction control, and stability control. Engine off (by kill switch) and a bump start keeps me in the same condition. If that key moves ONE BIT(as in from ON to START), I have to start over. Does that make sense?

In defense of the Mustang, this isn't some grand NASA launch system for CC. There are four buttons, two left, two right. There is ON and OFF on the left, and SOMETHING and SET SPEED on the right. So if I used the key, I would have to hit ON again for it to let me SET it, while a bump start after the kill switch simply let's me hit SET to set the CC.

I don't think the point of the car matters much in regards to how the ECU understands things, or reacts. Be it my Mustang or one of the Insights, going from ON to START only rationally applies to the car stopped to getting ready to drive, while the ECU being in ready to drive mode (engine was cranked and started since last key movement) thinks it is in a driving situation.

The only way I understand to test this is for someone have two cars, one with engine started, then turned off, and then one started and the engine killed by kill switch. Then an F150 drives into each, same speed, and angle. If I had to bet which one would still have safety features, I'd bet the one that still thinks it is driving.

Best Tanks:

Last edited by UltArc; 08-18-2015 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: sorry, just thought it was funny...lol
Old 08-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

la_voiture_de_courses - '03 Renault Megane Estate
OldContinents
90 day: 44.34 mpg (US)

xiao lan - '01 Audi A2
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Brit iron - '92 Mini Mini
90 day: 45.5 mpg (US)

Prius - '09 Toyota PRIUS Lounge
90 day: 47.37 mpg (US)

Beemer - '06 BMW F800 ST
90 day: 53.06 mpg (US)
Yes, it is what I believe.
Still, finding the right way to kill the engine requires to make sure you are using a feature put in the ECU by the maker.
I am not too sure this is common knowledge.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

What method do you suggest? The only I have found that [seems to] makes sense is the injectors, or fuel pump.

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread