Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Owner of a Hybrid and all electric...

I have become an electric car junky.

Just a little advice to those thinking about going electric.
I owned a hybrid 2008 Prius for about 8 yrs.
Now own a 2016 Ford fusion hybrid, for two yrs.
And now own a 2015 Nissan, Leaf - about 6 mo.

Since I bought the Nissan Leaf - I have not bought one ounce of gas for the hybrid. I just don't drive the hybrid.

The Leaf can go about 100 miles and can be recharged to 80% (About 80 miles) in a half an hour. Oh and I have a Nissan dealer, within 2.4 miles where I can charge it up for free - even at 2 or 3 am - I am paying for nothing so far. You just can't beat that! Now most charging stations can and do charge - but a full tank (80-90%) cost about $7-10. Most slower chargers - which take about 4 hr - are usually free. The quick charger usually are charged.

Hint - there are charging stations popping up everywhere. I live in Sacramento - but could go to LA or SF without too much trouble. Most if not all Nissan dealerships have a charger , but not all of them are free.

If driving a vehicle that gets about 40 mpg would normally pay about 3 times the price of the electric charge per distant.

I am not a professional about any of this - This is just my guess-a-mates on what I have concluded.

I do think that all electric cars are too expensive when compared to gas ones. Oh, I forgot to mention that there is very little maintenance on evs - Wiper blades, tires - no tune-ups, maybe brakes, etc. Batteries are very expensive for the ev, usually good for about 10 yrs.. That is one reason that the car companies don't like them. No service money...

For gas drivers it is strange to leave your house with a full tank (If you have a 220 v charger at home) - All evs come with a 120vac charger but that is slower than molasses. 220vac charger cost about $300 - $500. but can charge your car in about 4 to 6 hrs, at home while you sleep.

My idea of a good average setup would be to have a gas car/truck/hybrid and a ev. Some people don't like electric - Oil companies have brain washed most of us... Just my opinion...

More could be said but this is just off the top of my head. If I missed any thing - Well, maybe I'll repost later...

Hope this info has been a plus for most of you.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread