Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 10,733
Thanks: 16,877
Thanked 5,741 Times in 3,455 Posts
Yeah Concrete,that's the idea.If you combine that with the half-tonneau,your looking at an 18% drag reduction,and 9% mpg better at 55-mph.

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 07-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 10,733
Thanks: 16,877
Thanked 5,741 Times in 3,455 Posts
P.S.,put some Plexiglas or Lexan on the passenger side if you can.When you're backing out of a parallel parking space,the extra visibility can help keep you from being T-boned!
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Sequential
 
Concrete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 177

The Truck - '00 Chevy S10 Extended Cab
90 day: 22.47 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 7 Posts
I feel silly

Quote:
would love to see picture of your truck



Aerohead,
I'm a little slow... but I will get there eventually
found the "girly man" post yesterday ....

Thanks for all the pics and data
I'm reading thru the "Library" of aero data on the forum slowly
but as I work my way around the truck

Thanks again,
__________________
Concrete
Start where you are - Use what you have - Do what you can.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 10,733
Thanks: 16,877
Thanked 5,741 Times in 3,455 Posts
you bet!!!!!!!! That's what we're here for.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Partial tonneau

A partial tonneau cover, having about 60% of the length of the box, attached at the tailgate and running forward gives the largest drag reduction. Even greater than a full tonneau. This was shown some years ago by GM and was the subject of a patent. Since then, I showed the same behaviour in a full-scale wind tunnel test reported in SAE 2004-01-1146 entitled "Pickup Truck Aerodynamics Keep Your Tailgate Up".
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Cooper For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-21-2014)
Old 09-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 10,733
Thanks: 16,877
Thanked 5,741 Times in 3,455 Posts
gate up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
A partial tonneau cover, having about 60% of the length of the box, attached at the tailgate and running forward gives the largest drag reduction. Even greater than a full tonneau. This was shown some years ago by GM and was the subject of a patent. Since then, I showed the same behaviour in a full-scale wind tunnel test reported in SAE 2004-01-1146 entitled "Pickup Truck Aerodynamics Keep Your Tailgate Up".
Kevin,I wish your paper was available at dealer showrooms! The automakers have been installing faux spoilers on tailgates for a few years now,in hopes that it will promote"tailgate-up" driving.Unfortunately,many truck owners apparently do not "get it",and continue to drive with the gate "down," clinging to intuitive concepts about how the air "must" behave.Some remove the gate altogether,thinking the combined :weight-savings and drag reduction" will save them fuel.Hope you sleep okay knowing what you know.It drives me nuts!
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Its good to see partial tonneaus being tried. Keep you tailgates up!

Kevin Cooper
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Mech & Aero Engineer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Garland, Texas
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
Darin,

do you have any seed material / pictures for the combo taper concept
like Ben I am trying to keep my truck bed useful and am interested in this concept
but all I have found is this:
Hey, that is a graph that includes some of my handywork. I was a member of the TTU undergrad team that did the wind tunnel test on the cab extension - partial bed cover combination. Tim Maxwell and Walt Oler are still at Tech and probably have photos of prototype devices installed on pickups.
I have a story about that particular wind tunnel test: I was against trying that combination because I did not think it looked advantageous on CFD simulations. This was an early version of FLUENT - the pickup contour basically looked like lego blocks. I thought I could read the tea leaves just by looking at the plots of the velocity vectors to see how big the eddy was that filled the bed region. I was very naive about the limitations of CFD in regards to getting accurate results for separated flows (at least in those days). Fortunately, one of the other guys on the team found an 1/8" thick piece of wood, and quickly cut it into the right shape to go over the last third or fourth of the bed of the 1/5 scale model. My reaction was 'oh what the hell, go ahead and tape it on, it will only take about five minutes'.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmroseberry For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-21-2014)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmroseberry View Post
My reaction was 'oh what the hell, go ahead and tape it on, it will only take about five minutes'.
You'd be amazed how many times that phrase has been the precursor to a major discovery in something.
__________________
"ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 10,733
Thanks: 16,877
Thanked 5,741 Times in 3,455 Posts
my handywork

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmroseberry View Post
Hey, that is a graph that includes some of my handywork. I was a member of the TTU undergrad team that did the wind tunnel test on the cab extension - partial bed cover combination. Tim Maxwell and Walt Oler are still at Tech and probably have photos of prototype devices installed on pickups.
I have a story about that particular wind tunnel test: I was against trying that combination because I did not think it looked advantageous on CFD simulations. This was an early version of FLUENT - the pickup contour basically looked like lego blocks. I thought I could read the tea leaves just by looking at the plots of the velocity vectors to see how big the eddy was that filled the bed region. I was very naive about the limitations of CFD in regards to getting accurate results for separated flows (at least in those days). Fortunately, one of the other guys on the team found an 1/8" thick piece of wood, and quickly cut it into the right shape to go over the last third or fourth of the bed of the 1/5 scale model. My reaction was 'oh what the hell, go ahead and tape it on, it will only take about five minutes'.
That's funny! What a small world! Tim and Pat Nixon gave me a copy of the paper based on your classes research that they presented at SAE in 1988.I think Dr.Maxwell and Pat made the Dallas Truck Show,trying to educate truck owners.Never saw anyone run the mods.What a shame!---------- I'll have to personally thank you for the "aeroshell" depicted in the paper,as I've enjoyed them for a decade now!------ You the man!!!! Thanks for all that,Phil.

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to improve fuel economy with a tonneau cover MetroMPG Aerodynamics 68 04-20-2017 08:31 AM
Truck Aero, Bed cover DIY tonneau? Chris D. Aerodynamics 84 11-05-2010 12:56 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com