Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
crexcrex -

Yup. My wife and my parents just couldn't get used to it. I always tell people that there is an acclimatization period. Conversely (or Convexly?!?!?), my center-rear-view information gives me way *superior* information to what others see. Now that I am used to the distances, there are times when I can lane change without turning my head because I can see *every* *single* *lane* with no blind spots. In this situation the cars are far enough back to make the lane change 99% safe (I never say 100% for lane changes).

CarloSW2
Do you have a big convex center rear view mirror?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't understand mods like this. How much additional fossil fuel will be used when you have an accident because you didn't see a car in the other lane just that one unlucky time?

Same goes for turning off engines and other stupid crap like that they are always showing on TV as "hypermiling techniques".
Its a hobby for some, an intellectual exercise for others. Because there is at least the possibility the mods can be validated by measurements, hypermiling and aero mods can provide real-world validation of interesting thought-experiments. What's not to understand?

Last edited by instarx; 01-18-2009 at 07:46 AM..
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Impala - '04 Chevrolet Impala base
90 day: 32.84 mpg (US)
Nice mod, just make sure that the state laws allow the actual removal of the existing mirror. I started digging into it for my Impala and used a couple of insiders (relatives in law enforcement) to check the laws for me. Sadly, there has to be an external mirror in this state, or I can be ticketed and fined. Now having said that, a micro camera system will pass the law, just not sure where I would place those screens...lol
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarx View Post
Its a hobby for some, an intellectual exercise for others. Because there is at least the possibility the mods can be validated by measurements, hypermiling and aero mods can provide real-world validation of interesting thought-experiments. What's not to understand?
What I don't understand is the lack of a big picture perspective. Reducing safety to increase gas mileage by 0.1% is never worth it.

If you want to experiment, fine, but put the mirrors back on and drive 0.1% less.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
winkosmosis -

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Do you have a big convex center rear view mirror?
Yes. Here pictures from my thread :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...size-1329.html

1970's style Convex Mirror from JC Whitney

(The attachment is NOT designed for modern rear-view mirrors, so I had to jury-rig my own ziptie solution)

As you can see, I can see it all coming :

ZERO Blind Spots

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

TDI Cup - '10 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Street
90 day: 50.3 mpg (US)
I have this mirror as well on my AeroJimmy

and I can also confirm cfg89's statement about this mirror's level of WIN for the buck. You can see all the way up to your peripheral vision with this thing, with the added bonus of seeing yourself plus everyone else in the car (which admittedly took a day or two of getting used to).

I don't have any side mirrors at all and use this as my exclusive rear view mirror without any problems at all even during rush hour traffic. I have no problems at all judging vehicle distance in the mirror as I can see the entire rear periphery of the car and judge whether cars are in front of or behind the B or C pillar with ease.

Last edited by jdub; 01-18-2009 at 05:16 PM..
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OK, one of those convex center mirrors could even be safer than outside mirrors.

BTW, I found this
RAZO RG23 Rear View Mirror (300mm Convex)
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here is one for 8 clams cheaper

This is the one I have and it looks like the picture that cfg83 posted as well. $11.99 for the 17 inch wide unit:

WRAPAROUND PANORAMIC WIDE-ANGLE MIRRORS : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

(This one is 5 inches wider than the RAZO unit at 300mm which means that much more viewing area up both sides of the car)

Last edited by jdub; 01-18-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jdub -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
This is the one I have and it looks like the picture that cfg83 posted as well. $11.99 for the 17 inch wide unit:

WRAPAROUND PANORAMIC WIDE-ANGLE MIRRORS : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories

(This one is 5 inches wider than the RAZO unit at 300mm which means that much more viewing area up both sides of the car)
That's the exact one I have. In the interest of total-information-awareness, here are some things to consider :

1 - The picture on the outside of the box is *literally* of a 1970's dinosaur car traffic jam. This is a clue that the attachement is designed for the "thinner-backed" rear view mirrors of 1970's cars. I couldn't get it to work with my 1999 "thicker plastic" rear-view mirror (hard to describe). I mothballed it for a few months until I figured out how to jury rig my own attachment. I dremeled 4 holes into the plastic backing of the 17" mirror and used grommets and zipties to attach it to my rear view mirror.

2 - The mirror distortion quality is ok but not great. I'll bet the RAZO is crisper, because it looks like the "ricer" kinds I have seen in auto parts stores. Also, I have seen "RAZO style" ones in widths up to 17" on occasion. But, I'll bet the RAZO is also "less convexy", .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
jdub -

2 - The mirror distortion quality is ok but not great. I'll bet the RAZO is crisper, because it looks like the "ricer" kinds I have seen in auto parts stores. Also, I have seen "RAZO style" ones in widths up to 17" on occasion. But, I'll bet the RAZO is also "less convexy", .

CarloSW2
The only distortion I have ever noticed is to the far left and far right of the mirror and its really only if you are trying to read stuff on the cars pacing you on either side. For spot checking clearance for lane changes, etc, its totally easy to live with.

Reply  Post New Thread