Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
This who you want to consult with:

Swain Tech Coatings for engine piston coatings, race engine coatings, ceramic header coating, carbide metal coatings, thermal spray plasma coating, metalizing closures, spray welding

Are you sure it's a Model 9? They haven't been made since 1962.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModder Newbie

GTA - '87 AMC GTA

2k6 Silverado - '06 Chevrolet Silverado LS
Send a message via ICQ to PhilA Send a message via Yahoo to PhilA
I'd say ceramics inside there- avoid Teflon, if the engine is a vintage like that it'll never stick to anything properly and flake off, fouling things up.

Sad as it may sound, the most efficient small engine I had ever run was close to worn out. I gave it a set of new rings as the compression was low to try and avoid blow-by, ground the valves so they sealed tightly... the rest of the engine was terrible by modern engineering standards. That said because the tolerances were so high, every moving component had scores they sat in, and with 10w/30 oil it had so little running resistance I could stop it with two fingers on the flywheel at idle. It also burned oil from the sump which appeared to help at low-to-mid engine speeds.

The exact same model engine I fitted to my scooter (see Motorbike thread) was tight, accurately machined and still used more fuel when put onto the same application (lawn mower, not the best gauge of it, I'll admit but that was a constant load situation)...

Should do well with ceramics though internally

--Phil

Reply  Post New Thread