Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm Purchasing a 2000 Insight 168k miles what do I need to check

I found a 2000 Honda Insight in Canada with 168,000 miles on it. I going to look at it and if everything pans out I plan on buying it for $3200.

The brake disks and pad have been changed.

The second owner who has only had it for 6 months (he bought the 2010 civic hybrid). He says the last person had the IMA battery pack replaced.

How do I check this?

What else should I check?

Should I take this to a dealer and have them check it out?

There is no radio, the AC is not charged, other than that there is no reported problems.

This is my first Hybrid so I will be thankful for any help.

I hope to add a MIMA and FAS mods and I am consider converting it to a PHEV by adding an addition battery pack.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
You can get the number off the battery pack and call Honda to ask if it's been replaced or not, as I recall. The probably also have such records via VIN number.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
For that price does it really matter? I would say that as long as it didn't appear to have any other problems then you should buy it! for $3,200 I would.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
This is the manual transmission version, right?

That's a GREAT car.
A friend of mine has one.

I remember him saying that one of the reasons why he wanted it was that with the IMA system, the engine can still run just fine, even if the battery pack was completely dead.

Think of it as a really nice CRX that just also happens to have an electric motor.

There just aren't many gen 1 Insights for sale, and the sellers usually want way too much money for them.

I'm very excited for you.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As long as you're not getting the IMA light coming on, the battery pack should be usable. Try a hard acceleration or two. Sustained hill climb is another way to test pack status, but it's pretty hard to do without driving to the Rockies.

Non-IMA things to check? The only one I can think of is to drive on level ground at about a steady 45-50 mph, and see if the engine runs smoothly, or if it bucks and jerks a bit. If the latter, you'll need to replace the EGR valve - maybe $150 if you do it yourself. (It can sometimes be cleaned - should be some info on Insight Central or elsewhere.)

Other than that, the only thing I've had to do in the 7 years/90K miles I've had mine is to replace an O2 sensor - apart from repairs caused by e.g. a deer trying to use the hood as a trampoline.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for all the feel back. I am really looking forward to getting this car. I am going to pick it up on Monday.

I would like to try to take it to 100mpg.

Here are some mods I have been reading about.

Honda Insight Mods:
MIMA

FAS Mod

Lean Burn Mod

Brake and clutch switch mod

I am wondering about adding a PHEV battery pack.

I was think it would be nice to have a surge/glide cruise control (SGCC). You could set your top and bottom speeds. The SGCC would then speed up to 90km and then kill the moter and glide to 60km and restart and repeat. Any bother heard of anything like that?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Seeker

red - '02 Honda Insight
MIMA will get you closer. If you get MIMA, you don't need a separate FAS switch. Or at least when I installed my MIMA a few years go it was integrated into the system. Also, MIMA is amazingly versatile and I don't think you'd need a brake/clutch switch mod. With MIMA you have COMPLETE cntrol of the IMA. As much or as little assist/regen as you want, whenever you want. You can also create automatic set-points for the assist/regen that fit your driving style/needs.

Adding an Enginer PHEV kit is pretty easy. Depending on your drive this would certainly bring you towards your goal. A 2kwh kit adds 85 lbs, though. That's what is in my Insight. I also use this as a way to grid charge the main pack.

You could also consider adding a grid-charger for the IMA battery. Insightcentral.net has some long threads about that.

As far as the stock pack. Even if you have to replace it for a reasonable price. Check Hybrid-Battery-Repair for details. This is what it says on their site
"We repair Insight batteries for $750 - $1250 depending on how many internal components need to be replaced. The average repair costs only $1000."
I haven't heard of anyone making a SGCC. I think if you get MIMA, you'll have plenty to play around with.

What is your typical commute like? (distance, terrrain, etc.)
Madison, Wisconsin
www.evpowers.com
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

@ericbecky
>>>What is your typical commute like? (distance, terrrain, etc.)

In Ontario, Canada it is pretty flat. I work out of the home but I go door to door delivering products 3 days a week. I go to London from time to time (50km one way), church meeting is 30km once a week. Also I am trying to do a bit of "driving" for the Amish. But I seem to put lots of miles on my car.

Reply  Post New Thread