Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Getting rid of ICE cars also means getting rid of all crude oil based products. You can't just say you aren't going to use the biggest product of refining but still use all the other products. You would end up with a lake of gasoline and diesel.
I’m glad someone gets it...

Quote:
They would end up with a lake of gasoline and diesel...
Hmm 🤔 ...

Maybe just flame 🔥 it off then...

Or better yet, just set the river on fire 🔥...

😈

>

Woke means you're a loser....everything woke turns to ****.

Donald J Trump 8/21/21

Disclaimer...

I’m not a climatologist, aerodynamicist, virologist, physicist, astrodynamicist or marine biologist..

But...

I play one on the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2021, 12:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
In Nigeria, according to Max Keiser, they take the gas they used to flare off and use it to mine Bitcoin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
How (And Why) Natural Gas Flaring is Being Used to Mine ...
https://oilmanmagazine.com/how-and-w...-mine-bitcoin/
Bitcoin Mining Operations Could Make Natural Gas Processing Profitable Somewhat strangely, the solution to the gas flaring challenge could be Bitcoin and other proof of Work (PoW)-powered cryptocurrencies. PoW is a consensus method that Bitcoin uses in order to process transactions.

Mining Bitcoin with Flared Gas - What Is Bitcoin?
https://www.whatisbitcoin.com/bitcoi...ith-flared-gas
As part of our Bitcoin is an energy solution, not an energy problem mini-series, I will be dedicating this one to mining bitcoin with flared gas. Since the demand for oil is not going away anytime soon, there is a massive opportunity to harness one of the largest energy byproducts in the world and convert it into bitcoin.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,448 Posts
Considering the usage of wood chips as a feedstock for synthetic fuels in Germany and invaded Poland during WWII, it does surprise me it's taking too long to become a thing for civilian customers to be able to resort to a similar waste-based synthetic fuel. But I still believe it's worth to consider ethanol too, now that most of the cold-start issues have been addressed either with heated fuel rails or direct injection.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Considering the patented technology dates to 1979, it's still taking too long.

I revisited the linked article.
Quote:
In this design, methanol is first dehydrated over an amorphous alumina catalyst to an equilibrium mixture of di-methyl ether (DME), methanol and water. The DME reactor effluent is introduced into the MTG reactors, wherein methanol and DME are completely dehydrated by a proprietary catalyst forming light olefins and water. At the MTG reactor conditions, light olefins oligomerize into higher olefins, which combine through various reaction paths into paraffins, naphthenes, and methylated aromatics. The shape-selective MTG catalyst limits the hydrocarbon synthesis reactions to about C₁₁.
So.... there ya go. They 'oligomerize'.

Quote:
ExxonMobil commercialized the first gas-to-gasoline plant in New Zealand in 1985. The New Zealand plant produced 14,500 BPD of gasoline and was operated by the New Zealand Synthetic Fuels Corporation, a joint venture between the government of New Zealand and ExxonMobil, until 1995. Operation of the first coal-to-gasoline plant via 2nd generation MTG technology began in 2009 in China by Jincheng Antracite Mining Group (JAMG). This 2,500 BPD gasoline plant began operations in 2009 and successfully demonstrated the coal-to-gasoline concept.
They made an agreement to develop a lower cost production method in 2015, with Sinopec Engineering Group (SEG)

Old 02-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cost is the driver of fuel practicality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Considering the patented technology dates to 1979, it's still taking too long.

I revisited the linked article.

So.... there ya go. They 'oligomerize'.

They made an agreement to develop a lower cost production method in 2015, with Sinopec Engineering Group (SEG)
With fossil fuels undercutting synthetic fuels, what is the point?

A holistic approach that uses electric drive wherever possible and leaving advanced internal combustion engines to the rest is the most plausible.

Also, if you are going the synthetic fuel route, why choose gasoline or diesel? As mentioned, butanol is a direct drop in to gasoline and provides distribution similar to gasoline with emissions advantage. Di-methyl-ether is another fuel that is synthesized in large quantities as an industrial chemical that has properties akin to propane in fuel use and handling and results in tremendous emissions advantages in diesel engines.

Both fuels have thermodynamic advantages as they take less energy to synthesize during production compared to long chain fuels such as diesel and gasoline.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
JSH (03-11-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's what they do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA
In this design, methanol is first dehydrated over an amorphous alumina catalyst to an equilibrium mixture of di-methyl ether (DME), methanol and water.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That is my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's what they do:
Why take the extra steps (as well as energy ) to oligomerize into naphtha and paraffin? The next step would be to form gasoline or diesel. More energy and time! Just use the butanol as is! Use the di-methyl-ether (DME) as is!

Both butanol and DME have improved octane allowing higher compression ratios yielding more efficient engines. Both produce more active radicals in the pre-combustion breakdown allowing greater use of lean burn and exhaust gas re-circulation with less penchant for NOx ( nitrous oxides ) production and UHC (un-burned hydrocarbons ) formation.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's byond me. I am reminded:

i.pinimg.com/736x/b4/ba/dd/b4baddeb86f3c1a9c6ef2523163062eb.jpg

Old 02-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Both fuels have thermodynamic advantages as they take less energy to synthesize during production compared to long chain fuels such as diesel and gasoline.
That's a good point.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Most of the times I see a 2nd-gen Porsche Panamera, it's hybrid. Sure there is no way turning back to the ICE-only approach, but it still makes more sense than placing all the bets on EVs as the one-size-fits-all approach.

Reply  Post New Thread