Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
That's really interesting. According to Wikipedia years of production were 1997-2007, predating the Prius. And Custom Coaster Conversions - Toyota Coaster offers a 4x4 conversion.

Could you post pictures of the wood gasifier trailer? Do you use it with another vehicle (or for your house) at present?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Smile

Hi Freebeard,

There are pictures of the Gassifier trailer, and some development work on some projects. EZP 545 10-19-2012,

Under heading Subaru EV van & range extending gensets (including Prius engine +generator trailer )- pics

I hope this gets you to it, I would like to share some of the more recent NHW 20 phev, and the Coaster EV which is now in daily use, both which are able to run from the wood gassifier produced electrons. It produces 50V and 200A on LPG trials, and then use 2 enginer Dc-DC converters to step up the voltage at the HV battery.

Seems that about 58 of the Hybrid EV HBZ 50s were made over a 10year period.

Thanks for the Toyota Motor home link, interesting as still have most of bus seats, except were space to carry the huge original charger (Takes 1 seat space.
Regards
George
The Following User Says Thank You to EZP 545 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-22-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZP 545 View Post
Hi, with reference to using rc motors, I have seen one used on a scooter, with a brushless sensorless controller, this ran with some growling and roughness, until it synced in with the controller, letting the throttle off a bit helped this transition, and then it would run ok.
So it didn't like the starting torque, but then settled down
Ah, yes, this is called 'cogging'. A common issue with sensorless R/C motors. I would have to use sensored motors at the least. I think my total load is going to be too high to reliably run twin R/C motors, the total weight car plus trailer will be around 2 tons (before accounting for the hybrid drive). Still even having a MPG neutral trailer would be nice.

Good news is my trailer is just a wiring job away from being licensed, then I can start thinking about powering it

The Following User Says Thank You to oldtamiyaphile For This Useful Post:
EZP 545 (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

On the pusher Front so to speak,
At present making mounts to use an Etech 5kw motor to mount as a 5th wheel drive on a Smart car, to do town/ traffic running, and lift from the ground for motorway, reverse and maneuvering , at first to trial, and then maybe connect up to steering in some way, mechanical rod, or servo driven.
This would leave all the ic drive as original, whereas a Toyota Q211 unit (MGR) necessitates removal of the ic if used in engine space.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:28 AM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just came up with the idea to use My first generation Civic Hybrid as a Pusher/Genset behind my old Dodge Van. I am planning to travel, railfan, and camp across the country in my van. I am putting my belongings in storage and planning to turn the van into a mobile base of operations. For a fullsized van, its mileage is relatively decent. It has a slant six and 4 speed OD manual transmission.

I don't want to leave the civic behind or sell it. The van could flat tow it, but it would be working fairly hard especially in the hills with my belongings loaded up and 3000 pounds in tow.

I am in the process of installing an Integrated Motor Assist command and control unit on the Civic. This will give me complete control of the IMA functions. The car could assist the van up to speed, continuously push from behind with or without the van or the electric motor's assistance. I could force the car to autostop and turn the car off or on as as I saw fit. I could even potentially use the car as a generator or for engine braking and eliminate or somehow temporarily disengage the alternator. I believe the Civic Hybrid has an electric brake booster that works even when it is in autostop mode.

I imagine in some situations, the Civic's ICE working alone could propel the rig more efficiently than the van's engine. The combined mileage of the van driving with the car lightly pushing behind should be better than the van running on its own. The two vehicles have about the same horsepower, but the van weighs around 1000 pounds more and has alot more torque than the Civic.

I would like them to be relatively easy to connect and disconnect. The civic is better suited to chasing trains at high speeds and I could always take it on a 50+mpg side trip. This idea is only in its infancy, but I think once I iron out when to run each vehicle individually or in tandem, they should work together well. Now I just need to figure out how to control the brake, clutch, and accelerator pedals. I'll rig something to move the shifter from 3rd to 4th. I'll probably have a cockpit monitor set up as well. This should be fun.

Last edited by Frankiec55; 04-23-2015 at 03:35 AM..
Old 04-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Turbocharged!

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota

Pickups
Mitsubishi

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4

The above idea is either brilliant or ridiculous, I'm not sure which

Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
please don't. Or at least do some experiments with a tow bar and a volunteer first.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #68 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

haha I hear ya,

I have a good remote spot out in the country to work out driveability issues. I will definitely get all of the remote actuators set up properly before I try and operate the civic remotely.

I think my car and van's sweet spots are pretty close together. I am hoping that occasional assistance from the towed vehicle will help the lead vehicle remain in its sweet spot torque wise. The van has an 0.73 overdrive and a 3.90 axle ratio. The speedometer is broken, but this means it spins 2400rpm at about 60-65mph. It can go faster, but it runs out of power once it gets to that speed. I think that is why it feels slow especially with a load, it can only ride in the left lane relatively easily downhill. The car on the other hand has similar gearing, but of course has all of its power at higher rpms. I have yet to use the van for any highway towing, it should actually do just fine around 60mph in the flats.

I was a bit worried about modulation of the actuators, especially the one controlling the clutch. But I realized that the clutch dumps smoothly at idle above 3rd gear so it will be fine as long as the actuator doesn't ride the clutch and releases it fairly quickly.

I have been trying to decide whether to utilize wired, wireless, or mechanical control of the remote vehicle. I think I will end up mainly relying on wired DC control with some mechanical safeguards. The only thing that I might make wireless would be the cockpit monitor. I will definitely devise a way to physically turn the car off and disengage the clutch remotely, atleast while I am working out the kinks.

My van does sit quite a bit higher than my car does. I will have to figure out a way to prevent the car from pushing the rear of the van up. I was thinking of using a long vertical drop drawbar hitch, but this will give the car leverage on the van and potentially negatively impact steering. I think mounting the tow bar higher(behind and through the bumper perhaps) and an adjustable height drawbar on the van will alleviate these issues. But this is all just speculation on my part. Whatever towbar I use will need a good strong coupler. I wish I could find one like uhaul's that you can crank down.

This definitely isn't the most Eco-friendly idea I have had. I imagine it will be a cumbersome set up at times as well. It should be fun though. I'll be able to enjoy the comfort & space of my van along with the speed, economy, and maneuverability of my car. Remote operation of my car should take alot of stress off of the van's brakes and drivetrain, allow me to load the van up, and keep the rig at decent speed through varied territory.

My original goal was just a DIY brake controller for flat towing the car. That will still be the main function of this contraption. I have not used the van to tow at highway speeds yet, but on a windy with the back loaded up, its pretty gutless on overpasses. I will have to see, I will keep you all posted on progress though.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Turbocharged!

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota

Pickups
Mitsubishi

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4

I'd probably start with a simple tow rope with the Civic in front (two drivers), see what sort of MPG you're likely to get with the set up before trying anything else. Get a 2-way radio to synchronize the two drivers.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:29 AM   #70 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Am a newby from Belgium , I want to build an EV pusher for my car , I am looking for friends that can help me .. anybody ?? i mean tech advice , searching parts , exsperience etc
I am 70 , retired tech engineer electronics and cartechnic .. I want a pusher that can take a 4000 lbs car to a limited 50 kmh /35 MPh for citydriving , I do have lots of electric AGM bats and a nice workshop.

I know I need to fit an extra vacuum pump for the brakes of the car , and also an electric assisted servo steering house . but I want to have contact with people who have a functional carpusher .

waiting for your response .. Ben

Reply  Post New Thread