Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
press release 869

if you want to know some global warming facts, here is a group that doesn't screw around.

World Meteorological Organization

I saw the record was broken about wind speed on mt. washington, and I am a weather lunatic, maine does that for me, and somehow ended up at that site. Interesting stuff.
There is a note about tornados above average in ontario region, I am assuming that includes great lakes and maine, I recorded one of those tornadoes...
anyway, factual stuff there. No doubting it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bgd73 For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (01-27-2010), SentraSE-R (01-27-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Wow! Great stuff. All facts, no nonsense. Thanks.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...how many people living today were around to observe and record the cause & results leading up to the last "ice age"?

...motto to ponder: "...man, in his infinite wisdom, is not wise!"
Old 01-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
That's as obvious a rhetorical question as ever was posed. You've just told us you don't want to discuss the facts. Thanks for letting us know that.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 01-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
That's as obvious a rhetorical question as ever was posed. You've just told us you don't want to discuss the facts.
...no-o-o-o-o, just stating that humankind is not 100% infallable, ie: there's a finite error level in all of our "observations" and their ensuing conclusions.

...ever heard of the Heisenberg Principle? You don't say "...it IS, or it ISN'T..." but rather "...it has a probability or uncertainty of XX or YY..."

...or, in simpler words--there is no BLACK nor WHITE, just percentages of GRAY(s)!

Last edited by gone-ot; 01-27-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I reserve judgement on any Global Warming "facts" until a determination is reached about cosmic effects on planetary climate change.

There is evidence that our problem is far beyond our control, and has been since before it even became a problem.

It has also been suggested that to truly understand global temperature changes, air and water temperatures shouldn't be the metrics, rather using the more steady temperatures found several feet or hundreds of feet underground.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I remember in 1982 in the Florida Keys. It got so cold they were warning about the Coral Reefs dying when the ocean temperature dropped below 60 degrees.

Those Coral Reefs were supposed to be millions of years old, and in my short lifetime (then 32) the experts were worried about exactly the opposite scenario as they are today.

I live very near coastal communities where the incidence of flooding has increased dramatically in my lifetime. Flooding has become a way of life in these communities, and I have seen some coastal beaches and peninsulas actually disappear in the last 4 decades.

The information seems conflicting to me when you consider the grave warnings have completely reversed in a matter of less than 30 years.

When Tambora exploded in the south Pacific in the time of the War of 1812, Savannah Georgia saw freezing temperatures in July!

The mini Ice AGE ended in the later part of the 1800S, after over 400 years.

Where you begin the collection of statistical data can make a huge difference in your conclusions.

If you want to call me dumb for what I have posted, you only make me convinced you have an agenda, while I do not.

It just makes me wonder with the apparent 180% reversal of the disaster predictions if we are really using unbiased empirical data to justify a hypothesis, or are we screaming the sky is falling because we are getting paid to do so.

I do believe that we should be as preemptive as mother nature will allow us to be to mitigate what could be a disaster scenario. It just aggravates me that some people try to capitalize on panic while doing nothing in their personal lives to be any real contribution.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Christ (01-27-2010)
Old 01-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
epic stock master

86 Accord LX (carb) - '86 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 35.57 mpg (US)
mm k. i;m going to type in caps.. LOL!
Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Civilizations over the last 1000 years have also stripped away the untouched virgin forests in many places on this planet. This continues today in Brazil, and I am sure in many other places, although the original virgin forests in most cases were removed long ago.

When the same group that recovered the gold from the shipwreck Central America, found trees under the water in the western Great Lakes, they found virgin forest trees that no longer exist anywhere on the planet. Pine trees that were 500 years old and with wood so dense the logs sank to the bottom.

What percentage of the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is due to deforestation?

Long ago England stripped away their ancient forests to build the ships of the line centuries ago. A recent aerial photo of Haiti shows the difference in deforestation compared to the adjacent country.

Reforestation would seem to me to be the most effective way to use nature to counteract man made carbon emissions. Not a solution by itself, but certainly a step in the right direction. With mankind's advances in controlled agriculture, why not invest a small amount in reseeding and let nature work for you.

A long time ago I remember reading that if all the polar ice caps and glaciers melted the ocean levels would rise by 135 feet. Not sure what the current prediction is today, but if we allow the global temperatures to rise by several degrees, I wonder how much more water vapor would be suspended in the atmosphere by that same heat, and what would be it's effects on precipitation.

It would seem logical to me (maybe just to me, who knows) that as global temperatures rise, the areas on the planet where vegetation could grow would also increase, which would mitigate the warming effects, especially if amplified by increases in vegetation, which consumes CO2 for photosynthesis.

regards
Mech
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
So you're claiming advancement toward equilibrium?

Funny, so does physics.

Reply  Post New Thread