Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2022, 09:18 PM   #131 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktree View Post
The original intention was to attach these mirrors to the stubs, but that didn't work out. So I improvised. I'm not happy with the arrangement, and will eventually re-do it. But other things are higher on the priority list.

Lately, I've been checking out sport bike mirrors. That might be the ticket.

Side note: The hurricane cleanup is mostly complete. Life is getting back to normal. I also had time to finish the BMW suspension overhaul. The Prius is due for an oil change, so I'll toss in the Ceratec stuff.
HI,

Sorry my post was not clear so I can see your interpretation of what I said.

Actually , what I was thinking was simply buy a 2" circular spot mirror and use the little "stub" as a "cradle" to house the spot mirror (spot mirror being the little stick on mirrors people attach to their "normal" mirrors to get a bigger field of view).

Maybe use some foam / bondo to make the front side of the mirror more aerodynamic .

(do not have to add any additional stem mounted mirrors which would only add frontal area and make additional drag) ....

Hope that was more clear.

Thanks for a great thread!

Andrew

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2022, 12:10 PM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Prius Experiment - '07 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 58.52 mpg (US)
I'm concerned that spot mirrors may be too small for safely navigating Central Florida traffic. So I'm looking for a happy medium between that and the stock mirrors.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #133 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I'll have to pay attention to my behavior, but I don't think I really use side mirrors except for parking. Sure, I probably glance at them as I'm turning my head to look over my shoulder checking the blind spot, but then I'd see all the cars anyhow. I watch my rearview mirror all the time.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I can't turn my head, but I don't need to:

Quote:

Part # 91056851
Racing 5-Panel Wide-Angle Rear View Wink Mirror, 35 Inches
by Speedway Motors
22 Reviews | 15 Questions
Increase your side and rear vision by more than 300% with these wide-angle mirrors
Mirror includes adjustable brackets for easy mounting onto your roof or roll cage
This roll bar mirror features 5 glass mirrors strategically positioned to maximize your rearward view
See More

$27.99 each In Stock
Mine says Love > Fear on the forward face. Speedway's website offered me $10 off on my first purchase.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #135 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I can't turn my head, but I don't need to:

Mine says Love > Fear on the forward face. Speedway's website offered me $10 off on my first purchase.
Yes, This kind of mirror is great for rearward / side visability.

Only thing that I wished was that somehow you can "dim" them for night use like stock mirrors ....

I kinda crudely made mine night time friendlier by cutting a long strip of window tint and attaching it to the top of the mirror bar and I can pull the strip down over the mirror at night and push it back over the top of the bar and it self curls back up but a factory solution would be nicer.

I use my side mirrors (spots) mainly to see the curb when parallel parking or backing between the lines.

Andrew
Blacktree (10-14-2022), freebeard (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #136 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's one of my concerns with that type of mirror. Florida drivers have a habit of driving around town with their high-beams on. And a lot of them also like to install cheap HID-wannabe headlights that produce a lot of glare. And they like to tailgate.

They also like to race up to the stoplight and slam on the brakes at the last moment. So I need the side mirrors, to see if some idiot is racing up behind me. If I don't notice the idiot racing up, and try to change lanes, the idiot will probably smash into my car.

Did I mention Florida drivers are a bunch of idiots? So basically, my car needs to be idiot-proof... or at least idiot resistant.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:10 PM   #137 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I just tilt mine up.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:28 PM   #138 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktree View Post
That's one of my concerns with that type of mirror. Florida drivers have a habit of driving around town with their high-beams on.
I want to invent side mirrors that detect when high beams are blinding the driver, calculate the angle needed to send the light back to the source, then move the mirrors to accomplish that. Would at least get the bozos to back off or pass. All of that should be relatively easy. The hardest part would be adding position sensors to the mirrors.

When I was in Miami, an Acura or Lexus was a poor man's ride, with exotic vehicles seen at every street corner. In Oregon, if you see a Lambo, you point and say "there's a Lambo". I'd see a Lambo or Ferrari every minute in Miami.

Crazy they'd own such expensive vehicles given how poorly people drive around there. I wouldn't take a nice car out in urban environments anyhow, because going fast between lights is pointless and the chance of some idiot damaging the car is high. Backcountry roads is where those vehicles belong.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (10-14-2022)
Old 10-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I want to invent side mirrors that detect when high beams are blinding the driver, calculate the angle needed to send the light back to the source, then move the mirrors to accomplish that. Would at least get the bozos to back off or pass. All of that should be relatively easy. The hardest part would be adding position sensors to the mirrors.
That would be awesome!
Old 10-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #140 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
Rear facing white lights not connected to a reverse is kinda illegal, particularly when the worst offenders for high beams are the Cops in Reno.

Wouldn't be hard to do, but I had success with reverse lights at stoplights and yahoos in the past. They get all that light then it dawns upon them that i'm in reverse. Unfortunately it never occurs they have the high beams on but they do stop being behind me.