Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
First voyage out the battery lasted 11.1 miles with pedaling. The kill-a-watt says the charger and battery took .35KWH according to my math that is 31.5 watts per mile.
Razor,
I have a few thoughts and questions that may help.

First off, what speed are you riding at or attempting to average?
Over 20 mph will suck the batteries down fast. I had a purposely small pack(150WH) and used to cruise at around 18mph. That was good for 5 miles with no pedalling. If I rode in the upper 20's I would only get about a mile and a quarter.
With about 50/50 pedalling I easily travelled 11 to 12 miles on a full charge.

When accelerating from a stop, always use pedal only either until you reach the speed you want or just can't go any faster on your own power, then start using the motor. Just like in a car it takes a lot more energy to get that mass up to speed than to maintain the speed.

Put a wheel cover on the rear wheel for better aero.

Consider a small front fairing that you could crouch behind. Again, better aero.

Hope this helps.

JJ

The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
razor02097 (04-24-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Additional thought. Get rid of those tires and put some smooth ones on. They look as though they will kill your mileage. Unless you plan on some off roading.
JJ
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
On the road to get to the sidewalk I travel at top speed which is about 25MPH with bursts of furious pedaling to get up to 30MPH. The road is a 2 lane 35MPH road which has no shoulder and some blind corners. I hope cars flying up behind me will be able to react appropriately if I am traveling close to their speed.

According to the watts up meter I use 1.3 amps each way to get to the sidewalk. So far I can squeeze about 8 amps from the pack before the speed controller refuses to send power to the motor.

I did swap tires to ones that hold higher pressure and are a smoother tread. There is a little dirt so I don't want completely smooth tires.

On a side note this NiMH battery pack weighs 13 lbs. If I decide to upgrade my battery I can always make a 12V 40AH battery that would weigh the same. I could stick a small inverter on it and have a portable 110V power station.

Project Avalon: E bike build
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
bev, e-bike, ebike, project, razor02097