Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
2005 Insight

2010 V6 Camaro Warp 9 connected to IRS

Looking at feasibility of connecting a Warp 9 or bigger motor to the IRS Pumpkin/frame for performance. (before anyone gets upset I own a Volt and two 1st gen Insights).
Goal is to add more torque to my V6 and because it is a manual 6 speed, I would have it (after full throttle is pushed) continuously apply torque as clutch is pushed in and during the shift. There by eliminating the loss of drive as i shift.
I am will to fill the trunk and back seat area with batteries. I know there will be a weight vs torque issue but only looking for 1 or 2 full pulls between recharge and or regen.
Has anyone done something similar for performance?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
2005 Insight

Ok didn't think this would go over well here but, has anyone seen info on using a electric motor on drive shaft or attached to rear pumpkin for performance? see above.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
It's not going over well because you're asking about a race-oriented application. You did see where the name of the forum is ECOmodder, right?

The Warp 9 double-ended motor would work, assuming there's sufficient length between the tailshaft of the tranny and the input of the diff to fit it and the necessary adapters. Whether the diameter of the motor fits into the shaft tunnel is a whole 'nother kettle of worms.

Your electric motor control is going to have to be separate from the throttle control, since I assume you're going to lift between shifts so as not to grenade the engine, or else you're fitting a proper race tranny and lifting isn't an issue.

[edit]
Sorry, I forgot about automatic ignition cuts. I default to carburetor technology and don't ever assume any part of an engine will automatically prevent you from destroying it. No-lift shifting is indeed an option, and the motor control connected to WOT would work.

Keep the battery load minimized. Install a bank of LiFePo4, nice and lightweight but enough capacity to make a few runs.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread