Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I found HONDA louvers on my used CRX when I bought it. I know it's not perfect aero , but I appreciate being cooler in the car w/o AC. I've gotten 62.something mpg. 4 times on trips so far, so I don't consider it's weight penalty? that overwheming right now! The 1st gen. is nearly a modern classic, so the louvers fit the time period.

I think that they would help any car w flying buttresses type rooflines.

Think of the factory re-do to make the Dodge Charger's rear window better for the Daytona version!

I would think the '68-70 Chargers, the '66-59 GM intermediates such as Chevelle's, Skylark's etc... need the filler!

The Pantera is very dirty aero wise in this area, Fiero's, X1/9's, and so on, and on!

It would seem that louvers would have some down force effect, w/o the added penalty of traditional stand up, or lip spoilers?

I find the mesh venting? on the lowest tier of the pictured Delorean interesting!

Would that act, and position qualify TO be called a spoiler????

Interesting subject!

Some holes need to be filled on some cars. I think the Pantera, and X1/9 make that obvious, that w/o a complete Daytona like redo; the louvers are the best Bandaid??? I know the Fiat is almost PU like, and actually needs flying buttresses for look's improvement!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
I believe on a Dolorean it was the engine lid and there was a flat window right behind the drivers head. I don't remember to well but I think it's like a fiero GT in back, the rear side windows were windows for a nicer side profile and some aero benefits.. I would add the same thing If I did a Fiero GT project.This actually helps the flow of air smooth and it is the "louvered Engine Bay Lid" Whatever is under that louvered Lid is a totally seperate compartment from the passenger compartment. I also believe engine bay heat left through those louvers also.

If you look at this photo, It was actually an aerodynamic mod and sorta funny that you had to open 2 lids to get to the engine which was a POS IMO!

I hope this helped you guys know it isn't to keep the driver cool at all! lol

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**

Last edited by HighMPG; 09-12-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...especially those little 'holes' in the last louver!
Those holes in the last set of louvers was the main vent for engine bay heat to vent. DUH lol
Obviously not everyone has had the chance to see and ride in a real one before but I think it is funny how people think they know what they are talking about and only a few know.

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**
Reply  Post New Thread