Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

regor's civic - '08 honda civic lx
90 day: 39.95 mpg (US)
Put in Mobil-1 and tufoil today

I've always made the switch to Mobil-1 around the 5 to 10K mark on a new vehicle. Always faithfully added tufoil.

Today, at the 8823 mile mark, I made the switch to mobil-1 (5-20w) and added tufoil.

Of course, I probably should had held up adding tufoil for a couple thousand miles to get the correct MPG with Mobil-1, but what the heck, I love the stuff.

I'll keep all of you posted regarding any increase in my mpgs.

On a side subject, I got a ticket right after leaving the dealership today. Stupid u-turn over solid double yellow lines. That will cost me. Hopefully traffic school will be a option given to me. First ticket in over 20-25 years. I've been kicking myself all day over it. On a funny side, when I called my wife about the ticket, her first comment was "They nailed you for driving too slow??"

And a 1907 Baldwin Steam Locomotive (Really)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2008, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Could you explain to fools like me what tufoil is?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

Engine oil treatment-

Tufoil Engine Oil Treatment
"Worlds most efficient engine lubricant for cars, trucks, boats and motorcycles. "

tufoil - Google Search

Lots of reasons why I love the stuff, but I won't go into details, however, I've been using it in all my vehciles since the early 80s. Solved the infamous knocking and pinging I had in a 98 Dodge Ram.

Yes, I've read the negative things about the stuff, but I'm one of the believers of it.

I've done oil Samples and analysis of all my vehicles from around the 5K mark to the 75K mark and sometimes into the 150k mark and have never seen any abnormal wear levels. With my 08 Honda, I had the oil sample drawn during this oil change and about 5K mark from now, I’ll have another sample drawn to see how my engine is doing. I’ll report what this latest sample reads when I get it.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I get my oil analysis kits (Preparid postage) from -http://getitlubed.com/
He’ll ship them to you for just under $23. They are the Amsoil kits, but don’t worry, I’m not a user of AMsoil.

Last edited by regor; 07-13-2008 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: More information and spelling corerections
Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

First day since the oil change. No real difference in MPG noted (Got 41.8, which is pretty close to my all time high in the mid 42mpg). Engine seemed smoother and shifted easier. I'll give my next report next Monday.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

Well, I was going to give a report on Monday, but since I won't be driving my civic until then, here's my weekly report since the switch to mobil-1 and adding of tufoil.

No real difference in MPG. Haven't hit the highest MPG I've recorded yet. Engine is runing a little cooler and rpms are lower. It seems like the car is shifting smoother, but no changes were made to the transmission.

This is prety much 324 miles since the change.

I had figured that I would see a increase in my MPG, but that hasn't been the case yet.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '05 toyota corolla LE
90 day: 28.91 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to blackjackel Send a message via MSN to blackjackel Send a message via Yahoo to blackjackel
would like to see an update on this!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

No difference yet other than a smoother ride and a little lower water temp. Best MPG has been 42.7, but I got that prior to the switch.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Had you changed oil before? I read they use a thick oil to help break in the engine during its first few thousand miles. If you hadn't changed it, what was the "Oil Life %" your Civic was reporting?

I also have an 08 Civic LX, but mine is the 5-speed. I was wondering what kinds of driving you've been doing and what techniques you used to break 40mpg? As many details as you have the heart to spill, I'll lap them up . Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

First oil change was at the 5,000 mile mark. Oil life monitor was at 40%. Dealer put in Castrol 5/20w gtx. Next oil change was at 8823 mile mark. I believe the oil indicator was at 60%. This is where I switched to Mobil 1 and added Tufoil.

My daily commute-81 miles RT. From 500' to 4500' (Poway CA to Julian CA-Local Mountains). No freeway. 15 traffic lights, I believe.

I'm currently at the 10078 mile mark.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Here, there, everywhere

techniques?

Buy a scangauge. That helps a lot. Do a search and see what settings others are doing.

Tire pressure-Whatever Honda states for your tires. I keep 36psi. Others will pump them up to the max that the sidewalls state. And check them.

Plan for the red lights. If you see a stale green, figure it'll be red when you get there and either shift into neutral and coast, or just take your foot off the gas and gradually slow.

Plan accordingly and don't use your brake. You want your car to be moving. Braking creates heat and friction which will slow you down.

Of course, keep the excess weight out of your vehicle.

Know your route and plan accordingly. I know my downhills and curves. I hit them so I don’t have to use my brake.

Keep your car clean. Dirt creates drag. I’m not talking about washing your vehicle all of the time, but use a duster on it.

Screw the person between you that is honking and flipping you off. At the worst, I’m doing 10mph below the speed limit when I plan my downhills and curves. Normally I’m doing the speed limit.

Reply  Post New Thread