Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Grill block would be my first aeromod. Warm up time is enhance as is aero. On a hybrid, the ability to stay warm really helps out too, especially in winter.

The wiki has a decent list of mods and what they've done for people who have done testing. That will give you a rough idea of what kind of benefits you should see.

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/...fications_Main

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Awesome. Thanks.......

Yes, grille blocks are my first mods. A close second is a chin dam with attached lower pan (under the engine).

Matt
Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just bought a 2013 C-MAX in Feb 2013 and my initial observation of the underbody is that Ford did quite a bit to clean it up. At least up to about 2 feet in front of the rear axle. There is also, down the center, about 20 inches wide, an opening where the exhaust is routed. What is also completely open is an area directly behind the read wheels. I think to get the most initial bang for the time/dollar buck, cleaning up the underbelly in the back would be useful. There is also less attention needed for aesthetics as this area is mostly invisible. Also changes here would not need to be reversible as blocking the front grill work might need to be. What I also notice on the front grills is that much of the grills are already blocked off. The main center grill looks a lot bigger then it actually is. There are two side nonfunctional grills in front of the front wheels that on this car could be replaced with a piece of smooth plastic.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
From what ive seen and looked at myself, without any other knowledge about the car. You could block off the upper and lower opening completely, and leave the middle opening of the main grill open completely without any adverse affects. You get smoother transition over the hood, and less debree through the lowest opening.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
C-Max vs gas only question

Does the battery pack have any specific requirements for cooling which wouldn't be on the radar screen of a gasoline or Diesel car?