Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Questions regarding '87 CRX DX mods (averaging 40 mpg, looking for 45-50)

So I own a 87 CRX, base model, with a HF Transmission installed in it, as well as and 8 valve cam and head. Now, I'm still using the DX carb, and as a result, only averaging 40 mpg.

So, I was kicking around some ideas about what to do to get to 45-50 MPG. Buying an 88 HF model is on the table, but those are getting pretty hard to find. Also, a 88 and newer body style isn't as cool.

So, I have a Civic 1.3 carb to try on this, but as long as I'm dreaming.... maybe a VX drivetrain swap? then get FI, and lean burn. Or, has anyone added a FI system a carbed engine? a Mega Squirt system perhaps? Anyway, since I haven't found a rust free HF model, I may be limited to modding this one, and if the cost is in small amounts, it doesn't bother me.

Does anyone have any input on these or any other mods to put time and effort into?

Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
You can rejet the carb to make it run leaner and then advance the ignition timing. I use to buy main jets from a honda motorcycle shop, probably get them on line or ebay. The old CvCC heads could be milled quite a bit. You might want to research main jet sizing and what it has now. You can jet it really lean and put a manual choke on it to adjust the F/A ratio on the fly. Lean burn is about 22:1, stoke 14.7:1. We use to open up the spark plug gap to run leaner without sputtering, up to a point any way.

Reply  Post New Thread