Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
I agree with you, It definitely doesn't make sense how it would increase efficiency. But there coast down test showed a 50% increase in coasting time, so maybe that is where the increased efficiency comes from

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
The Prius is arguably one of the most fuel efficient cars available, and is far more quiet than most.

[Edited by poster to correct silly writing]
Do electronic [fuel injection] and the related computer control unit increase noise, vibration and harshness? I think it's generally agreed that elec. [fuel injection] is more efficient overall than carburetors. And that's without considering how carbs misbehave when they get dirty/leaky/out of adjustment.

Last edited by brucepick; 10-29-2011 at 09:16 PM..
Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
in my opinion, quiet=efficiency. That means that the air is flowing smooth over the vehicle. But noise is probably one of the worst ways to judge efficiency
Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
When I refer to noise, it is generally in relation to sound deadening; road noise; and engine sounds. Softer engine mounts and bushings mean less noise, but it also means that energy that could have driven the car forward was absorbed. Obviously, electric cars are much different than ICE, but many of the concepts translate well.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Do electronic ignition and the related computer control unit increase noise, vibration and harshness? I think it's generally agreed that elec. ign. is more efficient overall than carburetors. And that's without considering how carbs misbehave when they get dirty/leaky/out of adjustment.
Do you mean fuel injection?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Do you mean fuel injection?
Yes, my bad. I'll edit my post.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroJim View Post
If what ERW says it true, than michelin will not be able to sell their tweel because ERW has the patents. It's too bad because michelin is the one with all the money to get a product to market.
Michelin has their own patents. It looks like this company worked around Michelin's patents using bolts then obtained their own patent going that route.

I would be very hesitant about these wheels/tires as one good pot hole at highway speed would do them in just like it will do in low profile rims.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
They are working on updated prototypes, and they have a version that has a closed "tire".

They are using a direct method of measuring rolling resistance -- a dynamometer. And quiet can be from dampening, which could also be causing higher rolling resistance.

This sort of tire seems to me to be able to provide lower rolling resistance; and I'm glad that someone is trying to develop this. The Tweel is non-pneumatic but it is designed to flex just like a pneumatic tire so that it can be used with the same suspension as standard tires.

I think that a more rigid wheel could provide lower rolling resistance, and that if the suspension was reworked to provide a smooth ride, that the combination would be more efficient and just as comfortable a ride. And if the suspension was regenerative, like the Levant Power shocks are, then this would provide more regenerated power than it would with pneumatic tires. The end result in theory, would be a more efficient vehicle, with more regenerative power and just as good or better ride; that would not require regular air pressure checks, and would not have punctures or blowouts.

With a car with full wheel skirts, like the Edison2 VLC or the Aptera or my CarBEN EV5, not having to check air pressure and not having to worry about changing a wheel on the side of the road would be a really good thing.

So, this type of technical development is a very good thing. Someone should be doing it. I would love to try these on CarBEN EV5 with regenerative shocks; after I get a working prototype built with standard tires.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To me, I think hydraulic energy recapture is the best way to go when talking about efficient tires. Mate a very efficient, hard tire with very good (computer controlled) suspension that can capture some of the bump energy and use it for forward propulsion.

I don't know much about tires, but I'd worry about harmonics with a tire/wheel like this. It seems like (in the right situation) this wheel could act like a car with springs but no dampers.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Right, the regenerative shocks that Levant make are hydraulic, with a small turbine and a generator as the load/dampener, and it can be used to vary the dampening, but this uses some power. If it is just used as "passive" dampening like a standard shock, then it would generate power to charge the battery.

Large truck tires -- mudders and oversized offroad tires have this undamped spring issue.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Reply  Post New Thread