Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Went on a short trip with some guy friends one day and they said "You can do that hypermiling thing". When we got back they asked why I didn't do any of "that" stuff. I said I did, they didn't even notice me killing the engine with my stealth kill switch, or the smooth bump starts.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
interesting question on the b17, if it is leaking enough to make a difference on the return trip, won't going slower exacerbate the problem to some degree?
Never said he went slower. In fact going slower over enemy territory got you shot down or killed. The instant you fell out behind the formation you were target practice.

They could adjust mixture, timing, and boost pressure, and they could have cared less about having to replace an engine.

Saving fuel was good insurance, for the times when you had to fly 4.5 hours back from Berlin with a wing that took an incendiary cluster bomb just as the canister broke and released the hundreds of white phosphorous bombs.

regards
Mech
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	8956  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Never said he went slower.
No, this is all you said:
Quote:
...This is a man who hypermiled a B17 coming back from Berlin so he might have enough fuel left in his tanks to not have to ditch in the North Sea if the bullet holes allowed too much fuel to leak out...
Then Joe said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
Shut off the outboard engines and maintain around 110-120 Kts
and you did not correct him.

Quote:
In fact going slower over enemy territory got you shot down or killed.
Sometimes it is unavoidable, you don't want to slow the rest of the formation down and give the enemy more time on target either.

Quote:
They could adjust mixture, timing, and boost pressure, and they could have cared less about having to replace an engine.
Maybe you could elaborate on what you mean by hypermiling then? So the next pilot doesn't do the wrong thing? What specifically do you do to boost/mixture/timing to trade range for durability? I could see what Joe suggested having some effect as the props can feather and you would load up half the engines, but still it is a reduction in cruising speed by 10-20knots and if it didn't improve consumption by a proportional amount then it was a waste of time.

It might be better to floor it if you are leaking badly enough is all I am saying.

Last edited by dcb; 07-11-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Being single and keeping to myself alot; plus primarily driving the CRX with the passenger seat out for about 3 some years now; I don't get too much direct FLAK???

On special family members birthday gatherings, and the like where 2 or 3 of us get together for like a scenic Sunday type drive, I know I'll be stuffed into the back seat of a Corolla, or a Camry driven by HEAVY FOOTER'S!!!

It's a wonder we are in the same family!

Most of my un-wanted attention has come from past co-workers, who have ribbed me.

Several yrs. ago, I was told at work to move my car one space from where it was. The guy knew I was into mpg., and practically had a fit when I just turned the key to unlock the steering, rolled down the window, and pushed the car over.

He like blew his top in disgust, sarcastically saying I was saving 2 drops of gas.

I told him that he was wrong, that instead, I was more concerned about the extra wear and tear on the electrical system, and also moisture in the exhaust system for such a nothing move! Naturally, he didn't want to hear anything I was saying, but I had fun getting such a rise out of him!!

The car in question was a bumperless Ford Fiesta (the original years) which certainly didn't weigh much, and from which I got 49mpg on trips.

Most of the people I go to church with just kind of roll their eyes. They know I hardly consider a car worthwhile, if it can't knock on the door of 50mpg.!!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Nothing wrong with keeping more to yourself Larry. I find most people to be idiots, including family members. But then again, everyone probably thinks I am as well, so, whatever.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Blow stuff up

S2000 - '03 Honda S2000
Team Honda
90 day: 24.42 mpg (US)
My wife comments that she doesn't really know the techniques for saving fuel while driving- but doesn't really try to learn either. Sometimes just leaves it in 4th gear on the highway since she can't hear the engine as much in the new Mazda- so even though I have the lead foot, she gets worse gas mileage. Go fig.

Sounds like you guys need to hang out with engineers more. Most of my buddies from college drive performance cars, but we'll EOC on long stretches or do fun things like push our cars through the drive through lane at McCrappers. It's funny to watch one of your buddies push a pristine STi through the parking lot.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Knight - '07 Chevy Cobalt LS

Chevyteg - '95 Acura Integra LS
my friends hate it when I make it over a hill at 5 mph then coast back down to 55mph lol, unless they wanna drive or chip in for gas though, they can suck it up
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ha i wish my wife would drive with some kind of technique. she gets in puts it in drive and pushes a pedal. when we go to see our family i get around 45 out of our car with the ac on she drives back and will get 30-32 . im thinking of making a device that has a rc gyro in it that will sense angle and limit inj pulse width or kill the fuel pump. maybe limit topspeed to 65 . i can only imagine that phone call. there is something wrong with the car, what it wont go fast anymore, so drive slower.

Reply  Post New Thread