Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

Reason for old car pictures

My 1932 Ford coupe was a class winner at the Dallas AutoRama, a Cover Car and Centerfold in Performance Cars magazine in Aug. 1976. It was also a feature car in Rod Action magazine. I built it in a 2-car house garage while a TV repairman as my day job. If you truly want to build an economy car, FIRST make up your mind you are willing to put in the effort. This 32 took almost two years and I drove it for 4 before selling it. When new cars were getting 15 mpg I got 20 mpg highway with 200 HP and a C4 automatic...with aerodynamics of a brick. My degree is in electronics, I am an ASE certified engine builder, and federally licensed gunsmith. I mention this to show I am familiar with todays computer-controlled engines, but prefer mechanical controls. I am familiar with detailed small parts mechanical work, and I was a shop superintendent for a city of 10,000 working on cop cars, ambulances, fire trucks, and officer's guns. When 9-11 calls come in EVERYTHING MUST WORK! At 77 I am not young but I do have knowledge to share. So many people today forget we started with mechanical machines controlled manually...and they can work great, if built properly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Cheap For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-29-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2020, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Cheap View Post
I built it in a 2-car house garage while a TV repairman as my day job.
And nowadays most people discard a TV when there is some malfunction instead of taking it to a repairman. I actually tried to take my last CRT to a repair shop in my neighborhood, but the repairman told me replacement parts for it are unobtainium by now and he could only try some makeshift fix, which would have costed me almost the same I paid for that TV 7 years before.

Quote:
If you truly want to build an economy car, FIRST make up your mind you are willing to put in the effort.
Most people nowadays want all the bells and whistles to show-off, yet expect the vehicles to be miraculously as fuel-efficient as a Honda Super Cub and as nearly indestructible as a 40-series Toyota Land Cruiser...

Quote:
When new cars were getting 15 mpg I got 20 mpg highway with 200 HP and a C4 automatic...with aerodynamics of a brick.
What engine did it have? On a sidenote, even though the aerodynamics were not that great, the relatively small size and light weight of those old Fords still seem to make them a quite interesting base for an efficiency-oriented project. I like the low-revving nature of those old engines.

Quote:
I am familiar with todays computer-controlled engines, but prefer mechanical controls.
Even though I don't take an extreme approach such as some Argentinians who replace the EFI and electronic ignition on modern cars with a carburettor and a distributor (or some makeshift static electronic ignitions), I still used to consider some carburettor-fed gassers (or even makeshift flexfuel setups) and mechanically-governed Diesels good enough as they could eventually be mantained with lower-tech and even makeshift tools if need arises.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

What engine

The 32 Ford coupe had a 289 V8 out of a 65 Mustang, using the original 3.00-1 Mustang rear axle and tall tires. It was one of the first motors I tried to build for MPG rather than max power. You are right about their weight being low. Because the metal was strong AS PUNCHED OUT (formed), it did not need bracing or supports. I think it weighed about 2,600 lbs. empty. I changed the trunk to a rumble seat, installed stereo headphone jacks in the package tray behind the seat, so passengers in the rumble seat could listen. It was a fun car to drive and won several awards. My goal is to make the Sunbeam just as much fun...but a lot more economical on gasoline.

Last edited by Charlie Cheap; 10-30-2020 at 07:54 AM..
Old 10-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,576 Times in 7,062 Posts
Quote:
If you truly want to build an economy car, FIRST make up your mind you are willing to put in the effort.
I've come to the conclusion that work space comes before the work. You can't disassemble a car in a single-car garage. Over the years, I've had not even a shade tree or a dirt-floor chicken coop. Never had a two-post lift. Today I can choose between a shade tree and a carport.

Quote:
I was a shop superintendent for a city of 10,000 working on cop cars, ambulances, fire trucks, and officer's guns.

Do you use cryogenic tempered brake parts? I've found them very successful. I think I will get drums and rotors for my new Metro, get them tempered, and save them against the eventual brake job.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Charlie Cheap (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

work space

Freebeard, you are definitely correct about work space. My first 2 Street Rods were built in my bro-in-laws garage, because I lived in an apartment then a duplex with only a carport. Fortunately I had many car buddies for help, and we were all LOF (Low On Funds) most of the time. Once I got my own garage, I was in heaven...so to speak. It looks like the problem is the same world wide.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Cheap For This Useful Post:
freebeard (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Cheap View Post
a 289 V8 out of a 65 Mustang, using the original 3.00-1 Mustang rear axle
I remember seeing one of those while walking the dog in a neighborhood near mine.

Quote:
I changed the trunk to a rumble seat
Rumble seats are an interesting feature, and could remain useful under some circumstances. Trust me, I wish they were still allowed on newer cars.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,576 Times in 7,062 Posts

https://www.chicagoautoshow.com/asse...oncept-929.jpg

Charlie Cheap — Did the back window roll down?

Old 10-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

The back window DID roll down...and I changed the weight to 2600 pounds, NOT 3600. I need to proof before posting.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This is not exactly what I had in mind, yet it's an interesting example. But anyway, the same way automakers could get the trunk lid of some convertibles to partially open from the front to the back in order to accomodate the roof, while also allowing the conventional opening pattern to access luggage, presumably it wouldn't be rocket-science to make a modern rumble seat.

Reply  Post New Thread