Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but it sure seems like gas is still about $2/gallon too LOW... because it still sounds like a Dukes of Hazzard rerun around here...
I still see people leaving their cars running in store parking lots, and the long line of moms idling their SUVs while picking up their little darlings at the local elementary school (which has perfectly good school buses, BTW). So whatever the price, it's apparently still cheap enough for some people to waste :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Christ (04-26-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #162 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I still see people leaving their cars running in store parking lots, and the long line of moms idling their SUVs while picking up their little darlings at the local elementary school (which has perfectly good school buses, BTW). So whatever the price, it's apparently still cheap enough for some people to waste :-)
I agree, they are wasteful. You also have the right to throw your money down the toilet if you choose. "A fool and his money are soon parted." Remember that this behavior is probably demonstrated by a relatively small percentage of the population.

But after being bothered by something like this, it is often taken to the next step, to say that 'a thing like that shouldn't be allowed'.

Live and let live.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #163 (permalink)
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
Filled up at $3.95 on the Illinois side of the river. Ouch.
I realize our economy is not benefiting from this, but I consider the environmental and societal cost of oil production, transport and infrastructure, and emissions. Surely those have value.

But I guess that's why I visit this website--to reduce my footprint, reduce consumption, and save a few bucks.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism
Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #164 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkofPolo View Post
Filled up at $3.95 on the Illinois side of the river. Ouch.
I realize our economy is not benefiting from this, but I consider the environmental and societal cost of oil production, transport and infrastructure, and emissions. Surely those have value.
That, and $3.50, will buy you a gallon of milk. (it was $3.00 last year)
Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #165 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
That, and $3.50, will buy you a gallon of milk. (it was $3.00 last year)
But remember, there is no inflation. It must be caused by supply and demand, right?

I guess milk drinkers were thirstier by 17% this year...
Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #166 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I paid more back in 2008 than I have yet this year. $4.189/gallon was the highest I paid back then, and I just filled up at $3.899.

We are paying a lot more than the pump price for oil. Try much of our military budget for a start. Then, take a look at the Gulf of Mexico, and Prince William Sound, AK and all the areas around oil refineries, and to smog and the myriad of health problems it causes.

The overall trend of gasoline price will always be up. Oil is finite, by definition. We are past peak oil. I know this because we have started to use the lowest quality, tar sands, etc.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 04-26-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #167 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The overall trend of gasoline price will always be up. Oil is finite, by definition. We are past peak oil. I know this because we have started to use the lowest quality, tar sands, etc.
I agree about Peak Oil but the oil we are using is not the lowest quality available, its just cheaper to get at and refine that any good quality left.

If people want lower prices how are you going to get them ? Whatever can be extracted locally in the US or North Sea is very small compared to the Middle East. Military perhaps ? I think China may have a few words on that one and will be happy to go toe to toe with anyone to get what they need.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #168 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post

We are paying a lot more than the pump price for oil. Try much of our military budget for a start. Then, take a look at the Gulf of Mexico, and Prince William Sound, AK and all the areas around oil refineries, and to smog and the myriad of health problems it causes.
"The sky is falling!"

Quote:
The overall trend of gasoline price will always be up.
That's called inflation.

Quote:
Oil is finite, by definition.
So is everything else. So what?

Quote:
We are past peak oil. I know this because we have started to use the lowest quality, tar sands, etc.
That's another non sequitur conclusion.

The quality of the source of petroleum does not matter. They DO refine it, you know.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #169 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Why stop at $6 per gallon?

Why not $10? $12? $20? $50?

How do you benefit from the price rising?

This is not a rhetorical question. Since you are cheering on the price rise, I want to know how it benefits you.
Sure- $10, or whatever. Cool.

As already noted, my formerly quiet neighborhood would quiet down again. You see, the bulk of activity on my street is SUV driving women yapping on cell phones. This town is small. They should pry their huge butts outta those trucks and walk around. Second in sheer volume we have the punks with their mud trucks who evidently put on about 200 miles/day without ever leaving city limits. Mom and Dad might rethink the wisdom of bankrolling that if it costs them more than $100/day. The tiny remainder is probably legit neighborhood traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vago
Indeed. It sounds like a few people here are taking pleasure at watching the economy stall. All of their friends must easily be able to pay for gas and food.
I have a fundamental disagreement with the prevailing "growth philosophy" which is, constant growth is a requirement for our system or it will all implode. This idiotic philosophy has lead to much sprawl and degradation of places and things. What is so great about it? What is so great about when our economy is humming along? Why does everyone in the small cluster****s strive to create large cluster****s? Can't they just move to congested areas if that's what they want? As far as I can tell, what we got was a bunch of McMansion building, SUV driving, keeping-up-with-the-Joneses B*** S*** and not a whole bunch more. Don't make the mistake of thinking that was the norm because that just ain't sustainable.

Yes, I can easily pay for gas, because I hardly buy any of it. And if food prices go up, I can easily pay for that too. It's quite simple if you don't go out to eat all the time, or order take-out, or only buy all the processed **** at the grocery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil
Quote:
Oil is finite, by definition.
Quote:
We are past peak oil. I know this because we have started to use the lowest quality, tar sands, etc.
He's right you know. By your glib remarks I know we'll never see eye-to-eye on much of anything which if fine because I don't want to be like you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Christ (04-26-2011), sid (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #170 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Sunshine is essentially infinite. Oil is not.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (04-26-2011)
Reply  Post New Thread