Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #51 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Ok this is what came up when i looked up my VIN #...

Year/Make/Model: 1994 HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL SI
Body Style: Coupe
Engine Type: 1.6L L4 MPI
Manufactured In: Japan

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah I am pretty sure you will need a new shift linkage because it sounds like your trans is not likely the VTEC version. It should still mate up pretty closely with your engine and mounts but you'll need a little bit of fiddling to make it perfect.

That said it might take a while depending on your abilities because I'm not certain that all of the mounts line up so you might need either part substitution or fabrication(minor).
Old 05-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #53 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunchosen View Post
Yeah I am pretty sure you will need a new shift linkage because it sounds like your trans is not likely the VTEC version. It should still mate up pretty closely with your engine and mounts but you'll need a little bit of fiddling to make it perfect.

That said it might take a while depending on your abilities because I'm not certain that all of the mounts line up so you might need either part substitution or fabrication(minor).
Ok well if i have to go through all that wouln't it be easier to just figure out if theres a different trans that work for my car that will link up and still has taller gears then what i have now?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #54 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
D vs B

Sorry to tell you the S80 transmission from the Integra LS will absolutely NOT fit you engine.
You do have other choices that are equal or better for economy with this engine. You have a D series engine so a transmission off nearly any other D series engine will work. and you will not need to change shift linkage unless you change your engine to a B series.

I'm not sure off the top of my head if you have a hydraulic clutch. That is the biggest issue you will have to watch.
Civic transmissions from the VX/HX have the tallest gears then the DX/LX are in the middle than EX/SI is the shortest and what you have most likely.
The civic and del sol with Beries engines are even shorter gears than you have now, in fact the Integra LS gears are shorter than the Civic DX listed above.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Civic VX ought to line up closer than anything else. Although. . .I'm not familiar with the VXs.

Honda is pretty good for making same model parts interchangeable so if I had to guess it ought to be a straight drop and it nets you a 5th gear of .702 instead of .750. Which is pretty good and about as tall Honda made them.

If you want to be sure ask one of the VX guys to snap a few shots of his transmission and see if it looks pretty much like yours.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
Sorry to tell you the S80 transmission from the Integra LS will absolutely NOT fit you engine.
You do have other choices that are equal or better for economy with this engine. You have a D series engine so a transmission off nearly any other D series engine will work. and you will not need to change shift linkage unless you change your engine to a B series.

I'm not sure off the top of my head if you have a hydraulic clutch. That is the biggest issue you will have to watch.
Civic transmissions from the VX/HX have the tallest gears then the DX/LX are in the middle than EX/SI is the shortest and what you have most likely.
The civic and del sol with Beries engines are even shorter gears than you have now, in fact the Integra LS gears are shorter than the Civic DX listed above.
I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just asking are you sure? If I recall everything is just about the same. I can't find any photos to match up with at the moment and I nor my neighbor have an integra so I can't go out and compare. I worked on an integra last week and I was fairly sure they were the same packaging.

Different driveshaft coupling?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

Quote:
I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just asking are you sure? If I recall everything is just about the same. I can't find any photos to match up with at the moment and I nor my neighbor have an integra so I can't go out and compare. I worked on an integra last week and I was fairly sure they were the same packaging.

Different driveshaft coupling?
Yes I am sure.
Both D series and B series are of similar dimensions but nothing lines up. Save yourself a lot of frustration and stick within the same series. Then all you need to know is if you have a hydraulic or cable clutch. everything else will line up perfectly.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thats really sad. . .

I would have assumed they would have just carried the parts over as they already had them handy. Guess not.

In that case stick with same make for switching Honda parts.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #59 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

Quote:
Thats really sad. . .

I would have assumed they would have just carried the parts over as they already had them handy. Guess not.

In that case stick with same make for switching Honda parts.
Don't be too disappointed. Like I said above there is still a lot of choices within the D series. And all of them are taller ratios and bolt right up.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

. . .but my disappointment is in the Acura people. . .they got too persnickety to use good ole Honda parts. . .

Reply  Post New Thread