Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Removable boat tail

first off, yes I searched

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...back-9490.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tail-4372.html
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rius-9789.html

on to the question.

I drive an accord and my wife drives a ranger (solid toneau cover). I would build a seperate on for both of us. I would use mine daily, and my wife would be wife like and complain, but use it on long trips. The design, however, will be similar because the trailing edges are close.

I would want it to be just slightly shorter than my trunk and extend maybe 2ft on the outside, but structurally limited to how long it could get. This would make it arched with a point at the end, and an angle of just over 45 degrees. For the accord I was thinking of some sort of 'u' shape to hold on to the trunk and then use magnets as a little bit extra.

Issues I will have is it would be right over my license plate on the accord. The truck has both a hitch and a tailgate that can be dropped to provide support.

Thanks for the help

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
boat tail

Do a search for 'Aerodynamic Streamlining Template:Part-C,low fineness-ratio tuft study,on page 4 of the thread.-------- You'll find a photo of one of my boat tails under test.------- You'll notice that fenestrations have been designed into the tail which allow the truck's tail lights to be visible from the rear.The license plate is moved to the back of the tail and lamps are provided for it via an electrical umbilical and quick-disconnect.The tail lights are under Plexiglass ( hard to tell from photo ) and extra reflectors are added for extra visibility.----------- I've driven it in 6-states and have never been hassled by authorities.--------- The tail picture gives an extra 1.7-mpg hwy,my van got 4-mpg better,and CRX even more.---------------- Watch your angles! They must be very gentle at the onset of curvature.At 24-inch length don't consider anything over 10-degrees on top and 7-8 degrees,sides,2.5-4 -degrees at the bottom.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Looking forward to what you do w/ the Accord! I have a Civic sedan so if you see gains I may emulate your strategy .
Old 09-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSatz View Post
Looking forward to what you do w/ the Accord! I have a Civic sedan so if you see gains I may emulate your strategy .
its seems that I am reading ur posts as u are reading mine.

I am more intelligence gathering for the boat tail more than anything.

Here is my list of things to do and am in process of

Working on MPGuino, soldering together parts now
Working on Belly pan

install LED to monitor e-fan usage

eyeing things to cover my rims
eyeing things to help me mount mirrors inside my door so I can remove them from the outside

find a car magnet sign to "shave" my passenger side door handle

Figure out how to mount rear wheel skirts

start with a kamma back and go from there
non-invasive

ill see how that all turns out. if its good enough I wont even bother with a boat tail.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Install a trailer hitch receiver and start out with a trailer hitch insert and build a platform out of plywood. The rest can be lightweight coroplast, but at least have something solid at the base.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For another mounting option suggest this thread by wagonman76
Non-invasive mounting for kammback
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...back-7577.html

And wagonman76's build thread
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...as-6715-3.html

Last edited by itsmedc; 09-27-2009 at 11:47 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
I've recently started on a hitch based boat tail and am running into more trouble than I anticipated. (aint it always?)

But right now I've got the basic frame layed out, going to work on the sheeting, then the port window, then the lights last.

It connects to the receiver I already had on the car right now, and despite the weak metal and ghetto mounting methods currently used, its quite strong. I plan to go back over the tape with bolts once I get the shape how I like it. I also plan to cut it where the wood piece is instead of bringing it to a full close.

The only connection it has with the car is on the hitch, everywhere else it simply rests against the car or squeezes in a wedge in the panel gaps. Measured it at 14 degrees on top, it looks more int he picture because the front of the car is sitting up a bit.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
I've recently started on a hitch based boat tail and am running into more trouble than I anticipated. (aint it always?)

But right now I've got the basic frame layed out, going to work on the sheeting, then the port window, then the lights last.

It connects to the receiver I already had on the car right now, and despite the weak metal and ghetto mounting methods currently used, its quite strong. I plan to go back over the tape with bolts once I get the shape how I like it. I also plan to cut it where the wood piece is instead of bringing it to a full close.

The only connection it has with the car is on the hitch, everywhere else it simply rests against the car or squeezes in a wedge in the panel gaps. Measured it at 14 degrees on top, it looks more int he picture because the front of the car is sitting up a bit.
This looks like a good start. I'm about to begin work on a hatch-mounted boattail that will be removeable with the hatch. Hopefully it'll work out, though it will require cannibalizing a hatch

Reply  Post New Thread