Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

89 Daytona Shelby - '89 Dodge Daytona Shelby
90 day: 22.88 mpg (US)

HHR SS - '09 Chevrolet HHR SS
90 day: 20.77 mpg (US)
That video is awesome. Why didn't Doc think of that to get his 1.2 gigawatts?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Do a search on this site for "No free lunch"... you should get your answers in those threads.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Uncle Jam

Lil' Red - '97 Chevy S-10 ext 2WD LS
90 day: 31.02 mpg (US)
Boy, I've seen everything now. I vote for the sails....
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Is it math or the physics that you don't understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhometro View Post
but isnt the winds going to be alot greater when your traveling down that road at 55, and was going to put 2 alternators on the front
Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Fit - '08 Honda Fit Sport
Hey, instead of relating you somewhere else, I'll try to explain how this video is a hoax.

In modern physics, energy is not created or destroyed. Also, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. **Remember these laws**

Also, since we are human, we can not produce many devices that work 100% efficiently... in fact, we do good to push 50% efficiency in most. Most modern, large, complex wind turbines max out around 35% efficient. This is using control systems for proper AoA (angle of attack), yawing, expensive generator systems, etc.

Since we know that energy isn't created or destroyed, how do the turbines extract energy from the wind? By converting some of the kinetic energy of the wind into mechanical energy then to electrical energy that is useful.

What does converting the kinetic energy of the wind really mean? It means the fast air is pushing on the blades... this pushing is called dynamic pressure. **This pressure is pushing the car backwards.** Using this pressure, the blades spin and create electricity.

How do you overcome this pressure? By applying the same amount of pressure in the forward direction. This pressure is produced by the engine. Since our engine is running off of pressure pushing the car backwards and the engine is producing a pressure forwards to counteract it, if the entire system was 100% efficient it wouldn't move or it would be accelerated to a certain velocity by an outside source and then would kick in and maintain that velocity but could never accelerate faster.

HOWEVER, like I stated earlier, we are doing good to get 50% efficiency most of the time so if this were our case, we would be pushing with half of the pressure that is getting pushed on by the turbines which means we would quickly decelerate to a stop.

That might be over complicated sounding and actually a pretty poor explanation of the subject. How about just trusting that the power obtained by the turbines is a lot less than the power it takes to push them at that velocity.

Youtube.com should have a 'B/S' tag on it to help with the ridiculous videos that get posted by scam artists.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
It's also most efficent to cut out as many steps as possible when trying to get work done, like creating electricity, that is why the alternator runs off the engine and not the wind, air plains do the same thing and they have a 2nd alternator that can drop down that does run of the wind to power the controls when the engines start on fire and die but they hope never to have to use that.
also the wind at the front of the car is going to be very turbulent, as it is being compressed as it trys to move around the front of the car, propellers also have a speed range that they work well in if you go above or below this air speed then their ability to produce usable power drops off, so one designed for 50mph would hardly move at 20mph.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Looks like he could use an explanation re: hho as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Could you send me a link to the aircraft 'drop down turbine'? I've never heard of an aircraft dropping a turbine to gain power for control incase of an engine failure. I know the larger aircraft have an aux. turbine but it is run off of fuel, not air.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
If you read the post, he never said it was a secondary "turbine." Just sayin'.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm lost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
air plains do the same thing and they have a 2nd alternator that can drop down that does run of the wind to power the controls when the engines start on fire and die but they hope never to have to use that.
also the wind at the front of the car is going to be very turbulent, as it is being compressed as it trys to move around the front of the car
This says a second alternator drops down to produce aux power from wind. When I said turbine, I meant a device with blades shaped like airfoils that convert wind energy to electrical energy. Maybe I should have said windmill

Also, the air IS compressed at the front but it is so small that it is considered incompressible. When you get to Mach 0.3 is when the compressibility of air is significant enough to include it in any mathematical calculations. It should be fairly linear though.

If you placed the turbine in front of the radiator... you would be using dynamic pressure that would be impacting the vehicle anyway. That might be worth testing.... Anywhere else would be hurting you pretty bad.

Last edited by noeryan; 02-05-2009 at 03:17 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread