Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ
I don't live in New Jersey. It's not my problem.

Why don't you look it up, Frank? (As I know you don't live in Jersey either...)
Frank replied:

Oh. I thought it was troubling you since you posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ
Everybody is offering opinions, which is provocative and stimulating, but so far nobody has actually looked up the rules for NJ State Inspection of vehicles and quoted whatever section of their regulations might apply or not.

Without reference to those rules, we may be just stirring a pot for the sake of fomenting argument. That may be fun and exciting, but it's not informative. Nor is it factual.
No, Frank. It isn't "troubling" me - which is why I said "I don't live in New Jersey. It's not my problem."

You can continue being provocative, as you often are. Or you could look it up the state regs for NJ vehicle inspection if you want to be helpful, and add some useful information to this thread instead of just "stirring the pot".

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I thought you were going to add something useful for a change?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I thought you were going to add something useful for a change?
I did.
Quote:
You could look it up the state regs for NJ vehicle inspection if you want to be helpful, and add some useful information to this thread instead of just "stirring the pot".
Now you continue being provocative, rather than adding anything useful. That's exactly what I said earlier, if you noticed.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Audi A4 - '00 Volkswagen Jetta GLS

Generic Crossover - '10 Honda CR-V EX
Whoa, I never expected so many replies.

New Jersey's inspection laws appear quite relaxed to me, your vehicle just needs to pass a basic emissions test and the OBD must not throw any codes. So I feel safe driving without the seats in. If anyone ever questioned it I'd probably just tell them it's temporarily for cargo space rather than fuel economy, because in my case that wouldn't be an outright fabrication.

I encourage everyone who has removed or is considering removing their seats to check their local inspection laws, just in case. Although for NJ, I had no luck finding anything explicit.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake940T View Post

New Jersey's inspection laws appear quite relaxed to me, your vehicle just needs to pass a basic emissions test and the OBD must not throw any codes. So I feel safe driving without the seats in. If anyone ever questioned it I'd probably just tell them it's temporarily for cargo space rather than fuel economy, because in my case that wouldn't be an outright fabrication.

I encourage everyone who has removed or is considering removing their seats to check their local inspection laws, just in case. Although for NJ, I had no luck finding anything explicit.
On a more humorous note - if you felt the need to provide an explanation you might say that you were making adequate space to give Chris Christie a ride, should the occasion arise.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
The Governeator

Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Question how did you move that quote

or is this a webpage debugging issue????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake940T View Post

Old 11-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I grew up in NJ and my family is all still there...both my cars are still registered there as well.

When I was trying to get my Monte tagged historic I was combing through the laws to make sure I knew all that I needed. Right before hand, in an effort to save money and speed things along, NJ removed all the safety checks from vehicle inspection. All they check is for catalytic converter and OBD codes...OBD2 vehicles are checked through the port, OBD1 still get the sniffer. The flip side, is that now cops are supposed to write tickets for things that classically got you warnings, like blown bulbs, bald tires etc.

With the removal of safety inspections, cars that are emissions exempt (like classics with historic tags) no linger need to visit the DMV on a bi-yearly basis...Love my historic plates

So yea...take out your seats and leave them in garage, no one should be hounding you about not having them. Should be able to do all sorts of things to your car now, but cops can still pull you over for things like tint even though the DMV doesn't check for it anymore.

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

The Following User Says Thank You to spacemanspif For This Useful Post:
Jake940T (11-07-2013)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
law, seat, weight reduction