Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Need Some Opinions About My 98 Civic HX

Hey guys I recently purchased a 98 honda civic hx with 124k miles on. When I test drove it everything seemed fine but once I bought it things started happening that previous owner didn't tell me about. There was a wine that would get louder as the rpms went up and the previous owner said the timing belt needed to be tightened. So I had the timing belt replaced and the noise is still there and come to find out its either the throw out bearing or input shaft bearing. He also forgot to tell me that the driver side window comes off the track and now the ac compressor is going out. I need some advice from you guys. Should I keep it and fix it or should I just cut my losses and sell it? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Here is a couple pics of the car. Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Sure looks nice; of course I'd fix it. But then I'd fix it.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another thing I noticed today was when I bought the car the glove box was in the back seat and the previous owner said that it needed new hinges. So I bought new hinges and tried to put the glove box on which would go on properly. After further inspection the dash is bent in a little bit from an accident
Old 05-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Fix it by yourself, then you can save some bucks. Regarding the A/C compressor, why don't you get rid of it and try some evaporative cooling (swamp-cooler) setup?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cinco The Miata - '90 Mazda Miata
Team Mazda
Sports Cars
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Oscar Wilde - '02 Honda Metropolitan
Motorcycle
90 day: 94.9 mpg (US)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr, Do you have a link for more info on evaporative cooling? All that comes to mind is old VW's with a swamp cooler on the passenger window.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMFan87 View Post
When I test drove it everything seemed fine but once I bought it things started happening that previous owner didn't tell me about. There was a wine that would get louder as the rpms went up and the previous owner said the timing belt needed to be tightened. So I had the timing belt replaced and the noise is still there and come to find out its either the throw out bearing or input shaft bearing. He also forgot to tell me that the driver side window comes off the track and now the ac compressor is going out.
The lesson here is pay less attention to the owner and more attention to the car when buying used.

Info from the previous owner is useful, but should always be viewed with skepticism. They are trying to sell you something, and it is not in their interest to point out every flaw with the car. Honest people will tell you more, but even so they will almost never tell you everything. CarFax and Autocheck are great tools for checking out the history of the car (you may want to run it even after buying if you believe it has been in an accident).

That said, these Civics are great little cars and super easy to work on. If you want to learn how to work on cars, you picked a good one to start with. The issues you mention don't sound like deal-breakers and I would personally keep it. But, I fix my own cars. If you are not confident in using a wrench, learn with the little issues and bring the big ones to the mechanic. If you plan to take it to the mechanic to fix every little issue that comes up, your mechanic will love you (for putting his kids through college).

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 05-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fixing a bad ISB (Input Shaft Bearing) on the transmission involves tearing the transmission apart in order to get at the thing. Not super hard to do, but time consuming and does take some specific tools and some real fiddling with some bits.

An ISB will make noise with the car at idle if the clutch pedal is not pressed. If you press the pedal down, and the noise slows down (and drops in pitch) and comes to a stop, only to go right back to where it was when you let the pedal out, it's the ISB.

Your description doesn't match what my ISB sounded like in the 90 CRX I used to own. Mine was more of a rattling noise, not a squeal.

The good news is that replacing the clutch and associated parts isn't as expensive or as much work as tearing down the trans. The bad news is that it's still a lot of work, or relatively a lot of money to have the clutch replaced. If you can find a shop that will do it for less than $350, you're getting a bargain and should ask what kind of parts they use...

Window tracks weren't that bad as I recall. Not sure if the 98 Civic has the same sort of window mechanism as the 90 one did, though.

A bent dash isn't a good sign. See if you can (SAFELY!!!) crawl under the car and look for bent/torn/wrinkled metal. Also look in the engine bay and the trunk and under the carpets and such.

If the car drives nice and straight, it may not have affected where the suspension mounts to the car, which is nice.

-soD
Old 05-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
You could try to sue him in small claims court to get all or part of the selling price back, or repair costs. But if none of his false explanations are in writing, I would learn to live with the losses and either sell or repair. As long as nothing else emerges in the short run this might be manageable if you have skills or the willingness to put in the time to learn. How do you know the AC compressor is fading? The black interior sixth gen Civics were hard to cool in really hot climates like where you are. My 1998 Civic's AC was always a big disappointment, even after we had it serviced at the dealership (it was a certified used car purchased under warranty).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiochOG View Post
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr, Do you have a link for more info on evaporative cooling? All that comes to mind is old VW's with a swamp cooler on the passenger window.
You might have already heard about Swampy evaporative coolers.
!12 Volt Portable Air Conditioners plus Evaporative Swamp Coolers.

Back here in Brazil evaporative cooling is popular among truckers, there are some companies manufacturing automotive units to be mounted on roof hatches. I've already seen few cars also using it, but since it increases the drag I'd avoid to get a roof-mounted one in a compact vehicle.

Some folks still object to evaporative cooling because it requires water, but considering that it doesn't use any GHG as a regular A/C does it's an advantage
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Eco-ventor

Princess - '92 Mazda MX-3 GS
House of Tudor
Team Mazda
90 day: 53.54 mpg (US)

Shirubāarō (*´ω`*) - '05 Toyota Prius Executive
Team Toyota
90 day: 54.88 mpg (US)

Blue Thunder - '20 Hyundai IONIQ Trend PHEV
Team Hyundai
Plug-in Hybrids
90 day: 587.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to jakobnev
Quote:
There was a wine that would get louder as the rpms went up
Could be as simple as the fluid for the power steering being low.

2016: 128.75L for 1875.00km => 6.87L/100km (34.3MPG US)
2017: 209.14L for 4244.00km => 4.93L/100km (47.7MPG US)
Reply  Post New Thread