Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2024, 07:21 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello guys!
I created this account just to provide my testimony lol.
I did this with my 2005 Lexus RX330 with 149,000 miles. Had codes for both cats(upstream and downstream) p0420 and p0430. I tried 2 bottles of Cataclean didn’t work, replaced downstream oxygen sensors didn’t work. Tried the sea-foam directly into the cats without removing them and didn’t work.
I am a Chemical engineer and read the whole cientific article/experiment made by these two guys in Europe and it made perfectly sense to me, there were 3 critical parameters mainteined constant during the whole experiment: Concentration, Temperature and Flow so figured that if I maintianed those parameters as close as possible to the experiment the results would be similar if not identical. I achieved the exact 0.1M for both citric and oxalic acid (reagent grade from ebay) concentration using 12 Liters of distilled water. I maintained a constant 50 Celsius Temperature and moved the cats up and down 10 times every 30 min and ran clean water every hour for 5 hours.
On the initial visual inspection before starting the cleaning I noticed that the honey comb was not damaged but I did observe a light grayish color on it. After the 5 hours of cooking them I noticed the grayish color was gone and now it was a dark gray/ slightly black color, also the acid solution got an interesting yellowish color.

I let them dry for 2 days and reinstalled them. The check engine light and the codes cleared out and I just passed my Smog check here in CA!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	35096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	35097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg